This information applies to J-1 students issued a DS-2019 by NYU, who are enrolled in a degree program, exchange program, or in "visiting student" status. The OGS is able to help NYU students sponsored by other organizations identify who is the appropriate person at that organization to provide immigration guidance.
As an NYU-sponsored J-1 student, you are eligible to apply to work on-campus as long as you meet the following eligibility criteria:
- You are a full-time student
- You have a valid, unexpired DS-2019 from NYU
- You have a valid, unexpired passport
- I-94 record
- You have a letter from your on-campus employer that states the following four items:
1. employer name and address
2. number of hours you will work weekly
3. begin and end dates of employment
4. type of employment (for example, adjunct instructor or hourly student worker)
Bring these items to the OGS during walk-in advising hours for review by an advisor. Once your on-campus employment has been authorized in the SEVIS (government) database and you have been issued a J-1 on-campus employment letter, you may begin to work. If you change on-campus jobs, you need to submit an updated employment offer letter to the OGS.