In order to qualify for Economic Need work permission employment, you must meet the following criteria
- Have been a full-time student at NYU for at least one academic year.
- Have a DS-2019 issued by NYU.
- Be able to document that the circumstances which led to your economic situation were unexpected and beyond your control. Examples include evidence of unexpected currency fluctuations, or the unexpected loss of employment or unexpected medical expenses incurred by you or your financial sponsor.
- Be capable of continuing full-time studies and maintaining J-1 status while engaged in Economic Need work permission.
- You do NOT need a job offer to apply for Economic Need work permission.
Procedure to Apply
In order to obtain OGS recommendation, you must come to the OGS with the following documents:
- Your DS-2019, I-94 record, and passport
- a completed F-1 / J-1 Student Budget Sheet
- A letter of explanation detailing your present economic need and the unforeseen and unexpected circumstances which led to your present economic situation
- Supporting evidence that documents the above
An OGS advisor will review your application materials. Please allow for up to 10 days processing time. This is not a routine application and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. At times, an OGS advisor may recommend that you obtain further supporting evidence to document your claims.
If the OGS recommends Economic Need work permission, J-1 students receive a work authorization letter for this purpose.
Once you are authorized for Economic Need employment, if you don't already have a Social Security number you must apply for one to get paid. Learn more about how to apply for a Social Security number.