New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

J-1 Employment

All J-1 students must report employment, even if doing a volunteer activity, to an OGS advisor.

Read on for the types of employment available to you. And remember, once you are authorized to work, you must first have a Social Security number in order to be paid. Learn more about how to apply for a Social Security number.

On-Campus Employment

As an J-1 student, you may be eligible to work on-campus as soon as you begin your academic program at NYU provided that certain criteria are met.

Off-Campus Employment

As a J-1 student interested in off-campus employment, you may be eligible for Academic Training or Economic Need Employment.

Please note that the information on these pages applies to J-1 students who are issued a DS-2019 by NYU and are enrolled in a degree program at NYU or are attending NYU as "exchange students."

The OGS is able to help NYU students sponsored by other organizations identify who is the appropriate person at that organization to provide immigration guidance.

Social Security Number

Need to apply for a Social Security Number?

Learn how to get one as an international student.
Read More

NYU Footer