New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

On-Campus Employment

If you are an F-1 student, you are eligible to work on-campus as long as you meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • You are a full-time student in an NYU degree program
  • You have a valid, unexpired I-20 from NYU
  • You have a valid, unexpired passport
  • I-94 record

There is no "waiting period" before you are allowed to accept an on-campus job. You must have a Social Security number before you can be paid. Find out how to apply for a Social Security number if you don't already have one.

On-campus employment restrictions

Employment is limited to part-time positions during the school year; full-time positions are permitted during official vacation periods. For hourly positions, part-time employment is a maximum of 20 hours per week; full-time employment is over 20 hours per week. PLEASE NOTE: Some NYU teaching positions (e.g., Code 102 Instructorships) are considered "full-time" and therefore are not available to F-1 international students under the terms of on-campus employment during the school year.

Your employment may take place at any NYU office or department, or a commercial firm located at NYU that provides direct services to students (e.g., the NYU bookstore). On-campus employment also includes graduate assistantships or teaching as an adjunct at NYU.
In certain circumstances on-campus employment may include off-campus (non-NYU) sites under "extended" on-campus employment. This applies if you are working at a non-NYU site but you are being paid through a research grant or contractual agreement between your academic advisor and an outside firm or organization. The research project must be directly related to your studies and appropriate to your degree level, and your work must be supervised by your academic advisor. This option is available only to Ph.D. students.

If you meet all of the above criteria, you do not need to obtain specific authorization from the OGS. Speak to your hiring department's administrator to complete the necessary forms.

The OGS does not issue letters verifying the eligibility of F-1 international students to accept on-campus employment. Hiring NYU departments should confirm the above information when processing NYU international students for I-9 purposes.

You are ineligible to engage in on-campus employment if you are on a medical or academic leave of absence or on academic suspension. You may engage in on-campus employment only when you have resumed full-time studies.

On-Campus Resources

To find on-campus employment and internship opportunities visit the Wasserman Center for Career Development. The Wasserman Center provides assistance with resume writing, interview skills and other services that will help you put your career on track.


Social Security Number

Need to apply for a Social Security Number?

Learn how to get one as an international student.
Read More

NYU Footer