New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

International Organization Work Authorization

F-1 International Organization work permission is a type of employment authorization for F-1 students who have been offered an internship with a recognized international organization. Such organizations include the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the Organization of American States, and others. Click here for a complete list of designated international organizations.

Procedure to Apply

Applying for International Organization employment authorization is a two-step process: (1) obtain an OGS recommended I-20; then (2) apply to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

(1) In order to obtain an OGS recommended I-20, you must come to the OGS with the following documents:

  • Your I-20, I-94 record, and passport
  • A job offer letter from a recognized international organization
  • A letter from your academic advisor, stating the following: (a) that you are in good academic standing; (b) your anticipated completion of studies date; and (c) his or her recommendation that you accept this internship.

An OGS advisor will review your application materials. If you are eligible, the advisor will recommend you by issuing an updated I-20 with a recommendation for international organization employment. Please allow up to 10 days for processing time.


(2) Apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once you have received your updated I-20, you can then apply for International Organization employment authorization. Do not prepare these materials until you have received your updated I-20. Your complete application packet includes:

Mailing Information

Once you have prepared all of the above materials, mail your application to USCIS. For those residing in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, the address for private courier service is:

Attn: AOS
2501 S. State Hwy, 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

If you use an address in a different part of the U.S., please speak with an OGS advisor to find out the appropriate USCIS mailing address.

(3) Once you are authorized for work with an international organization, if you don't already have a Social Security number, you must apply for one to get paid. Learn more about how to apply for a Social Security number.

Eligibility Criteria

  • You must be a full-time student at NYU in lawful F-1 status.
  • You must have been offered an internship position by a recognized international organization.

Processing Times

USCIS routinely takes up to 90 days to process this type of application. Approval is NOT guaranteed, and you may not begin employment unless you have received written approval from the USCIS. Written approval will come in the form of an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).


If approved, you will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS granting you permission to work off-campus. Note also the following restrictions:

  • You may work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year, full-time (over 20 hours per week) during vacation periods.
  • You may not start employment until you have received an EAD or before the start date indicated on the EAD. You must stop employment by the EAD expiration date or by the date you finish your studies, whichever is earlier.
  • You must remain a full-time student and make full-time progress toward degree completion while working for the international organization.
  • Time spent working for an international organization does not count against your 12 months of optional practical training.

Social Security Number

Need to apply for a Social Security Number?

Learn how to get one as an international student.
Read More

NYU Footer