Procedure to Apply
Applying for Economic Need work permission is a two-step process: (1) you must first obtain the OGS recommendation for Economic Need work permission; and (2) upon receiving the OGS recommendation, apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
(1) In order to obtain OGS recommendation, you must come to the OGS with the following documents:
- Your I-20, I-94 record, and passport
- a completed F-1 / J-1 Student Budget Sheet
- A letter of explanation detailing your present economic need and the unforeseen and unexpected circumstances which led to your present economic situation
- Supporting evidence that documents the above
An OGS advisor will review your application materials. Please allow for up to 10 days processing time. This is not a routine application and is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. At times, an OGS advisor may recommend that you obtain further supporting evidence to document your claims. Note that the USCIS scrutinizes Economic Need applications carefully; as a result, the more evidence you can provide to establish the unforeseen and unexpected nature of your economic situation, the better.
If the OGS recommends Economic Need work permission, F-1 students receive a I-20.
(2) Apply to the USCIS. Once you have received an OGS recommendation, F-1 students can then apply for Economic Need work permission. Do not prepare these materials until you have received an OGS recommendation for Economic Need work permission. Your complete application packet will include:
- I-20, with a recommendation for Economic Need work permission
- photocopies of all I-20s previously issued (even from other schools)
- I-94 record
- a check or money order made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security in the amount of $380.
- a completed Form I-765 (PDF) Application for Employment Authorization
- Form G-1145, in order to receive an e-notification of application receipt from USCIS
- two passport photographs
- a letter of explanation from you, addressed to the USCIS
- your F-1 / J-1 Student Budget Sheet
- supporting evidence documenting the unforeseen and unexpected nature of your economic situation
- letters of support from your financial sponsor and academic advisor
Once you have prepared all of the above materials, mail your application to USCIS. For those residing in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut, the address for private courier service is:
2501 S. State Hwy, 121 Business
Lewisville, TX 75067
If you use an address in a different part of the U.S., please speak with an OGS advisor to find out the appropriate USCIS mailing address.