New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Curricular Practical Training

CPT allows you, as an F-1 student, to accept paid, off-campus employment that is an integral part of the curriculum of your degree program. CPT employment must be directly related to your major area of study.

CPT is divided into two categories:

Internship: the employment is a mandatory part of a course that you are taking for degree credit. The course may be an elective, but the credit must count toward your degree.

Practicum: this is a non-credit employment or fieldwork experience that your department requires of all degree candidates in your program.
CPT is available only if one of these categories is included in the curriculum of your degree program. Because every program has different academic requirements, not every student at NYU will be able to take advantage of CPT.

Eligibility Criteria

In order to qualify for CPT, you must meet the following criteria

  • You must have been a full time student for at least one academic year, and you must be in valid F-1 status now. You may engage in CPT before the end of one full academic year only if your graduate program requires all enrolled students to obtain work experience in the first academic year.
  • You must be making normal progress toward degree completion and be in good academic standing.

Procedure to apply

Download an OGS F-1 Curricular Practical Training Request Form. Complete the top half of the form and have the bottom half completed by your academic advisor, dean, department chair, or program coordinator. Your department must endorse your request for CPT by signing and completing the form; confirming:

  • That you are a full-time student and your anticipated program completion date.
  • The internship course name, course number, and the number of credits awarded for the course.
  • That the course credit will count toward fulfilling your degree requirements.
  • The beginning and ending dates of your employment (month / date / year), the number of hours per week, the company name, complete address, and your job title.

Drop off your completed OGS F-1 Curricular Practical Training Request Form along with the following documents at least 10 business days prior to the anticipated start date of your internship or practicum during office hours, Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.


  • A photocopy of your passport biography/photo page
  • I-94 record
  • A photocopy of your internship class registration (if applicable)
  • If your payroll will be processed by an outside organization, provide a letter of explanation from your employer specifying the name and address of the payroll company

If eligible, the OGS will authorize you to engage in CPT by issuing an updated I-20. You may not begin employment until you have received your updated I-20.

Once you receive your authorization for CPT, you must apply for a Social Security number if you don't already have one. You must have a Social Security number before you can be paid.


CPT is typically done on a part-time (up to 20 hours per week) basis during the school year and on a full-time basis during vacation periods. Exceptions may apply for graduate students depending on the structure of the individual student's curriculum.
You may not begin CPT without prior authorization from the OGS. Retroactive authorization is not possible.

If your program does not have an internship option or fieldwork requirement, you are not eligible for CPT. Please read our instructions on Optional Practical Training (OPT) instead.
Note that if you work over 12 months of full-time CPT, you will forfeit all OPT.

Social Security Number

Need to apply for a Social Security Number?

Learn how to get one as an international student.
Read More

NYU Footer