New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

F-1 Employment

As an F-1 student you may be able to work at NYU or off-campus. Read on for the types of employment available to you. And remember, once you are authorized to work, you must first have a Social Security number in order to be paid. Learn more about how to apply for a Social Security number.


As an F-1 student, you may be able to work at NYU as soon as you start studying.


There are several different options if you want to work for another company or organization.

You must be a full-time student at NYU for two consecutive semesters to apply for these types of employment authorization:

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is temporary employment that is directly related to your major field of study. Learn more about optional practical training.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is temporary employment that is an integral part of your degree program. This is the kind of employment students who have internships or practicums typically apply for. Learn more about curricular practical training.

Working with an International Organization

This type of employment is for F-1 students who have been offered and internship with a recognized international organization such as the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, and more. Learn more about work with an international organization.

Economic Need

If you have lost your funding for your NYU education for reasons that are beyond your control, you may be able to request economic need employment.

Social Security Number

Need to apply for a Social Security Number?

Learn how to get one as an international student.
Read More

Need to report a change while on
post-completion OPT?

Update your address, employer, status information and more.

Click here.

NYU Footer