New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation


Grand Central Station

Now that you're in the U.S., be sure to comply with government regulations in order to keep your status legal. View this section for information on what you need to do to keep your status legal.

What do you need to do while in NYC?

  1. Review and remember what you need to do in order to maintain your legal F-1 or J-1 status.
  2. Understand what employment you are eligible for and what you need to do regarding taxes in the U.S.
  3. Be aware of what documents you need when you reenter the U.S.

Looking for an overview of
practical matters while in the U.S.?

View our Practical Matters presentation for an introduction to U.S. off-campus housing, opening a bank account, and more!

View the workshop here.

Reentering the US
if you are coming from abroad

The ability to reenter the U.S. following travel abroad is considered a benefit of F-1 or J-1 status. It is important that you have all required travel documents with you during your travels:

Learn more

NYU Footer