New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Before You Travel

Before You Travel


Some countries require your passport to be valid up to 6 months beyond your expected date of departure. If you need to obtain or renew your passport:

  • U.S. Citizens: Information on passport application/renewal can be found on the U.S. Department of State website.
  • Non-U.S. Citizens: Contact the agency responsible for issuing passports for your home country.

Optional passport assistance services are available to NYU affiliates for a reduced fee through CIBT.

Before you travel, consider emailing yourself a copy of your passport's bio page and any visa(s) you may have obtained for you journey. This way, you'll be able to access copies of these documents from anywhere with an internet connection. Also, make photocopies of these documents and carry them with you while you travel.

Additional Requirements for Non-U.S. Citizens

If you are not a U.S. Citizen, you may be required to show evidence of your legal status in the United States, especially if you are applying for a visa from this country.

  • Examples of such evidence may include a valid I-20, DS-2019, J-1, H-1B, O-1, E-3, TN, etc.

If you plan to return to the United States after your time abroad: 

  • Faculty and Scholars: Contact NYU OGS Scholar Services before you travel. Please visit the scholars page for additional information.
  • Students: The ability to re-enter the U.S. following travel abroad is considered a benefit of F-1 or J-1 status. It is important that you comply with all immigration regulations and requirements. You should also meeting with an Inbound International Student Advisor in OGS if you have questions about maintaining your immigration status while abroad.

Visa and Immigration Assistance

GlobalChek Plus: a self-service immigration application which will help users find specific and up-to-date visa and entry information for upcoming study away travel, extended business travel, or professional appointment/assignment travel. Please visit: Note: you must sign in using your NYU NET-ID email. For information on how to use GlobalChek Plus, please click here to watch our YouTube video tutorial, or click here to read our GlobalChekPlus FAQs.

CIBT: CIBT provides optional visa and passport application, processing, and expediting services. CIBT is a fee-based service provider, with discounted rates for NYU affiliates.

Cultural Awareness Resources

GlobeSmart is a web-based cultural awareness training tool providing a quick and easy access to extensive knowledge on how to engage in intercultural communication more effectively with people from countries around the world.
What is GlobeSmart, what can it do, and how do I get started?

  • Access GlobeSmart from the main page of your NYU Home

NYU Traveler

All members of the NYU community should use NYU Traveler to book their travel or register travel plans made through other means.

Travel Advisories and Warnings

Please visit Travel.State.Gov to learn of any travel advisories or warnings for your destination country.


Outbound Services

Office Hours

Monday - Friday
9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. EST

Emergency Information

In addition to contacting local authorities, for overseas emergencies call NYU’s Department of Public Safety in New York at 011-212-998-2222. Public Safety regularly assists with international emergencies.

Info Alert: NYU has a website to provide updates on and detailed information about University operations when major events occur:

In the event the problem is medical or wellness related, the Crisis Response Counselor (CRC) on duty will be contacted. Each NYU Academic site has Health and Safety information posted on their page:

NYU Travel Medicine Services - Staff

Contact NYU College of Nursing's Travel Health and Wellness Clinic to schedule a travel consultation prior to travel. If you are traveling on a semester-based or full-year program, please contact the clinic 8-12 weeks prior to travel; otherwise, 4-6 weeks prior to travel will generally suffice.

Global Health Insurance

Please contact the NYU Benefits Office at 212-998-1270 or email (at least 1 to 4 months in advance) to obtain information about which coverage you need to register for and become familiar with before you leave. For additional information on Global Health Insurance click here.

Self-directed traveler self-service
tax information

The self-directed traveler, self service tax information page will provide a "self-service" source of information where individuals can obtain basic information on the tax system of the country they are traveling to and what triggers a tax filing and payment in that location.

Read more

NYU Footer