New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

B Visitor/Visa Waiver Program

Some visiting scholars may be able to enter the U.S. on the B visitor visa or the Visa Waiver Program to consult with colleagues, to conduct research, and to attend conferences or seminars.

B-1/B-2 Visitor visa

The B-1 (Visitor for Business) and B-2 (Visitor for Tourism) visa is used for short-term visits, generally six months or less. For more information, see the U.S. Department of State web site. If the visitor does not already have a B visa stamp in his or her passport, he or she must apply for one at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, unless eligible for the visa waiver program. In addition to the visa application form, the visitor should present to the consulate a letter of invitation outlining the terms of the proposed visit to NYU.

Visa Waiver Program

The Visa Waiver Program enables citizens of certain countries to enter the U.S. for business (WB status) or tourism (WT status) for 90 days or less without obtaining a visa. To determine if a scholar is from a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program, please visit the U.S. Department of State web site. VWP travelers are screened prior to admission into the United States using a system called ESTA. You must complete your ESTA application before departing for the U.S.


Can a scholar in a visitor status receive honoria payments and reimbursements?

New York University can make honoraria payments as well as reimbursements for travel and subsistence to foreign nationals in B-1, B-2, WB (Waiver for Business), or WT (Waiver for Tourism) status who are engaged in academic activities and meet certain other criteria. The academic activity in which the visitor is engaged can last no longer than nine (9) days. In addition, the visitor cannot accept payment of expenses and/or honorarium from more than five U.S. institutions or organizations in a six-month period.

If the visitor is in B-1 or WB status and is only being reimbursed for expenses and is NOT receiving an honorarium, he or she can be reimbursed for substantiated reasonable expenses (receipts required) up to the expiration of their B-1/WB status as stated on the I-94. This applies only to those in B-1 or WB status. It does NOT apply to those in B-2 or WT status.


NYU Footer