New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Procedures at NYU

Procedures at NYU

In order to enter the U.S. in TN status to work at NYU:

Citizens of Canada are not required to obtain an actual visa stamp, but instead receive TN status from a U.S Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer on their passport and I-94 at a port of entry* into the U.S., by providing:

  • A request for TN status (there is no special form for this);
  • A valid Canadian passport
  • A copy of the her/his college degree and employment records which establish qualification for the prospective job (a copy of college transcripts also recommended);
  • A letter from the Director or Department Chair offering her/him a job at NYU, stating: The position the employee will hold at New York University is Teacher, University (or Research Assistant working in a post-secondary educational institution), which is included on the NAFTA Professional Job Series List, NAFTA ch.16, part 5, Appendix 1603 D.1; and
  • A fee of U.S. $50.00 (subject to change). A receipt will be issued for the fee, and this should be retained along with a printed copy of I-94 for any future trips outside the U.S.

*This means at a major port of entry, at a U.S. airport handling international traffic, or at a U.S. pre-flight inspection station. If traveling by air, the required documentation must be presented well in advance of actual departure time to allow for processing time. TN status is not processed at every U.S.-Canada border crossing; individuals should call the inspection station at the planned port of entry ahead of time to verify that TN applications are accepted.

Citizens of Mexico must apply for a TN visa stamp at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate overseas with similar supporting documents as for Canadians as listed above. See the Mexico section on the NAFTA website. For updated information regarding procedures and visa application fees, visit the specific Consulate’s website.

Scholars may also exit and re-enter the U.S. for the purpose of extending TN Status. Citizens of Mexico will need to apply for another TN visa stamp if they plan to re-enter after their current TN visa stamp has expired.

Although sponsorship is not required for scholars who obtain TN status or a TN visa stamp as described above, the Office of Global Services can advise on the TN. Department liaisons should allow 1-2 months lead time in advance of the desired appointment start date to request advice. The liaison and scholar should complete a TN Inquiry Form to initiate the process.

USCIS approval of an NYU–filed TN petition:

Canadian or Mexican citizens may change into TN status or extend their existing TN status without leaving the U.S., if NYU files a TN petition (form I-129) with USCIS. Department liaisons should contact the Office of Global Services at least 4-5 months in advance of the desired appointment start date to request a change of status or an extension for a TN scholar. The liaison and scholar should complete a TN Inquiry Form to initiate the process. USCIS should adjudicate the TN petition (form I-129) according to the normal processing times posted on their website (subject to change). If necessary, cases can be expedited by using premium processing (form I-907) for an additional fee.

Regardless of how TN status is obtained, the scholar may not begin/continue working for NYU until the TN petition has been approved by USCIS or until s/he enters the U.S. in TN status. The TN may be granted for an initial period of up to three years, and this status may be extended in three-year increments, renewable indefinitely.


Spouses and children (unmarried children under the age of 21) who are accompanying or following to join NAFTA Professionals (TN visa holders) may receive a TD visa. Applicants must demonstrate a bona fide spousal or parent-child relationship to the principal TN visa holder. Dependents do not have to be citizens of Mexico or Canada. Spouses and children cannot work while in the U.S. They are permitted to study.

  • Canadian citizen spouses and children do not need visas, but review the CBP website for the port of entry requirements:
  • Spouse and children are not Canadian citizens - They must get a TD nonimmigrant visa from a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. They should review U.S. Embassy or Consulate website how to apply information.
  • Mexican citizen spouses and children must apply for TD nonimmigrant visas at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate,
  • Spouses or children following to join must show a valid I-94, thereby providing proof that the principal TN visa holder is maintaining his/her TN visa status.
Electric I-94 Record
NYU Footer