New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

J-2 Dependents

Immediate family members, i.e., a spouse and/or unmarried children under 21, may apply for J-2 visas to accompany exchange visitors to the U.S. No other family members are eligible for J-2 status. Each person in J-2 status must have his or her own DS-2019. If you have dependents and would like them to join you at some point during your stay at NYU, notify your department of this when you are asked for information for your visa application.

Once in the U.S., individuals in J-2 status are permitted to apply for work authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

If your dependent has no plans to work and no intention of staying longer than three months, the B-2 (tourist) visa or the Visa Waiver Program is a fine option for visiting you in the U.S.

J-1/J-2 Health Insurance Requirement

All Exchange Visitors (J-1) and their J-2 dependents are required to maintain health and accident insurance coverage during the entire time they participate in an Exchange Visitor program. See the Health Insurance Requirement section for more information.

B-2 Classification for Cohabitating Partners

The B-2 status is appropriate for a cohabitating partner or significant other who is not eligible for dependent status under the principal scholar’s nonimmigrant visa classification. This is true for both opposite and same-sex partners. B-2 classification may also be used by a spouse or child who qualifies for a dependent status but for whom it may be inconvenient or impossible to apply for the proper H-4, J-2, or other derivative visa. 

If such individuals plan to stay in the United States for more than six months, they should ask the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for a one-year stay at the time they apply for admission into the U.S.. If needed, they may thereafter apply for extensions of stay using Form I-539, in increments of up to six months, for the duration of the principal alien's nonimmigrant status in the United States.


OGS sponsors two programs especially for spouses of international students and exchange visitors. These include the International Spouses/Partners English Program and the International Spouses/Partners Group.

NYU Footer