New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Applying for a Visa

If you are outside the U.S., you must either already have a valid E-3 visa, or obtain one at a U.S. embassy/consulate overseas in order to enter the U.S. in E-3 status to work at NYU. Visas are issued only by United States consulates and embassies outside the U.S. Citizens of Australia can apply directly to any U.S embassy or consulate for an E-3 visa by presenting the following documents:

  • LCA certified by DOL (provided by the Office of Global Services).
  • Job offer letter describing the specialty occupation, the salary, the minimum requirements for the position and how the individual meets these requirements.
  • Evidence of a U.S. bachelor’s degree in the field or its equivalent and U.S. professional license, if applicable.
  • Evidence establishing that the applicant’s stay in the United States will be temporary.

The U.S. Department of State provides general information on visa wait times. Though you should always contact the U.S. consulate or embassy for information on processing times, you may use the U.S. Department of State's Visa Wait Times as a guide.


The dependent does not need to provide the principal applicant’s Labor Condition Application (LCA) or evidence of employment, but needs to show that the principal applicant is the recipient of an E-3 visa by providing a copy of the visa or, if the applicant has obtained E-3 status in the U.S., the I-797 Approval Notice. The dependent can apply at the same time as the principal applicant, but they may also apply separately once the principal applicant’s E-3 visa has been issued. The principal applicant does not need to be present at the dependent’s interview. Each dependent must make a separate visa application, but children under 14 who are Australian citizens or permanent residents of Australia are not usually required to attend an interview.

Please note, when completing the DS-160 form and scheduling an appointment you will need to select 'E-3' for dependents. There is no option to select 'E-3D', but the correct visa type will be entered when the application is submitted at the interview.

Applying for a Visa

Please note that E-3 regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no earlier than 10 days before the begin date of your approved petition.

NYU Footer