New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Applying for a Visa

If you are outside the U.S., you must either already have a valid O-1 visa, or obtain one at a U.S. embassy/consulate overseas in order to enter the U.S. in O-1 status to work at NYU. Visas are issued only by United States consulates and embassies outside the U.S.

To apply for your visa you should submit the original Form I-797, photocopy of Form I-129, and photocopy of the letter of appointment, in addition to a valid passport and any other documents instructed by the embassy/consulate. We encourage you to visit the U.S. State Department’s website as soon as possible for further information on procedures and timeframes for obtaining visas at embassies and consulates overseas.

The U.S. Department of State provides general information on visa wait times. Though you should always contact the U.S. consulate or embassy for information on processing times, you may use the U.S. Department of State's Visa Wait Times as a guide.


If you intend for a spouse and/or dependent children under 21 to accompany you to the U.S. in O-3 status, such dependents may apply to a U.S. embassy/consulate for O-3 visas at the same time. Dependents seeking O-3 status must present a U.S. consul with your original Form I-797 (or their original I-797 showing proof of O-3 status if they ever obtained one), as well as their own valid passports, financial documentation that verify how they will be financially supported in the U.S., and proof of relationship to you (i.e., marriage certificate and/or birth certificates). O-3 dependents should be reminded that immigration regulations DO NOT ALLOW H-4 VISA HOLDERS TO WORK IN THE U.S. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

Canadian Citizens

Canadian citizens do not need a visa stamp to enter the U.S. However, Canadians must submit to an immigration official at the U.S. border the following items: a valid passport, the original O-1 approval notice (Form I-797), photocopy of Form I-129, photocopy of the Labor Condition Application, photocopy of the letter of appointment, and any other documents instructed by the immigration official to obtain appropriate O-1 status on their I-94 card.

Please note that O-1 regulations allow you to enter the U.S. no earlier than 10 days before the begin date of your approved petition.

Applying for a Visa
NYU Footer