If you wish to travel outside the U.S. and re-enter during your approved appointment period, you should be sure to have the following things at the time you re-enter the U.S.:
- Valid passport: Be sure that your passport is valid at least six months into the future from the day you re-enter the U.S.
- A valid H-1B visa stamp: Check your visa to make sure it will be valid on your intended re-entry date. Also note the number of entries allowed on your visa. If you do not have a valid H-1B visa, you will need to apply for one at a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas. For general information on obtaining a new visa, see the section on Applying for a Visa. (Please see the notes below if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico, or are a Canadian citizen.)
- The original Form I-797 (H-1B approval notice), which shows your H-1B approval for New York University.
- Employment letter from your Department signed by the Chair which confirms your salary, title, and employment dates (If the letter filed with your case is older than 6 months from your planned date of entry to the U.S., please obtain an updated one from your Department administrator).
- A copy of the H-1B petition (Form I-129) NYU filed for you and a copy of the Labor Condition Application (Form ETA 9035) NYU filed with your most recent petition. (These items were given to you by Scholar Services when your H-1B petition was approved).