New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Maintain Your Status

These are the steps every H-1B scholar must follow in order to maintain legal status while in the U.S.

1. Make sure your immigration documents are valid and unexpired

  • A passport valid at least six months into the future
  • I-94 information that is not expired, marked with H-1B
  • A valid I-797 Approval Notice (from the petition filed with USCIS)
  • A valid H-1B visa is needed for travel and re-entry into the U.S. However, your visa may be expired while remaining in the U.S.

2. Update your local address within 10 days of a move

It is the H-1B scholar’s responsibility to keep International Scholar Services and USCIS apprised of your current residence in the U.S. Within ten days of a move, you should notify Scholar Services of your new address so the staff can update our records. Scholars can report the new address by visiting the office or sending an e-mail to the attention of International Scholar Services at with your name, visa type, new address, and telephone number.

Also it is a legal requirement that within ten days of a move, you must report the change of address to USCIS using form AR-11.

3. Notify Scholar Services of early departure

If an H-1B scholar’s appointment at NYU will be completed prior to the original end date, International Scholar Services should be notified by both the department liaison and the scholar. Please send an e-mail to the attention of International Scholar Services including your name, visa type, original and new end date, and reason for early departure or visit the Scholar Services office.

If you not have H-1B status with another employer or if you do not have any other status, you must depart the U.S. immediately after the last day of NYU employment.

4. Notify Scholar Services of substantial changes in NYU employment

An H-1B scholar’s permission to work at NYU is based on the terms and conditions presented in the petition filed with USCIS. Accordingly, you should not accept any changes in the terms of employment (other than a standard salary increase) without first consulting Scholar Services.

5. Do not accept unauthorized employment

Please note that the H-1B approval for New York University allows you to work only for NYU. Employment with (or even receipt of honoraria from) another institution requires USCIS approval.

6. Contact Scholar Services if your H-1B status needs to be extended

If your appointment at the University is extended, the hiring department must contact OGS Scholar Services to request an extension of your H-1B status.

Washington Square Park NYU

Register with OGS Scholar Services!

All new H-1B scholars should register with Scholar Services upon arrival or approval of a change of status. A registration form is included with the visa documents we send you. If you are entering from outside the U.S., we request you attach a copy of your visa stamp and I-94 information. Once you register, we will subscribe you to our Foreign Scholars Email List. The list is our primary vehicle for communicating with you about important immigration updates and special events in which we think you might be interested. Upon registration, you also have the option of joining the International Scholars Network Email List which enables you to connect with other international scholars at NYU. Don't forget to register!

NYU Footer