New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Incidental Employment

Instructions for NYU J-1 Exchange Visitors on Obtaining Permission for Incidental Employment (Occasional Paid Lecturing or Consulting) Outside of NYU



J-1 federal regulations for exchange visitors in the Professor, Research Scholar, and Short-Term Scholar categories (in box 4 on Form DS-2019) allow for participation in occasional lectures and short-term consultations at locations not listed on NYU’s Form DS-2019. Such activities must be approved by the program sponsor (NYU) and must:

  1. be directly related to the objectives of the exchange visitor’s program;
  2. be incidental to the exchange visitor’s primary program activities; and
  3. not delay the completion date of the visitor’s program.


In advance of the date of your engagement:

1) Send an e-mail to your International Scholar advisor to request a J-1 work authorization letter.

2) Ask a representative from the offering institution to also send an e-mail that:

  • requests NYU permission to undertake the lecturing or consulting and
  • explains the terms and conditions of the offer to lecture or consult, including duration (not to exceed end date of your current DS-2019), number of hours, field or subject, amount of compensation, and description of activity.

3) Ask your NYU faculty sponsor/supervisor to send an e-mail to your International Scholar Advisor recommending such activity, explaining how it would enhance your exchange visitor program.

4) OGS will review the request and if approved, issue a J-1 work authorization letter via e-mail within five working days.

Note: Permission is necessary even if you will only be reimbursed for expenses.

NYU Footer