New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Extensions & Transfers

Extensions and Transfers

Extending your J-1 program at NYU

If you would like to extend your J-1 status, please contact your department one to two months before the expiration of your current period of authorized stay, as indicated on your DS-2019 form. If you will be extending your J-1 status at NYU, your department administrator will need to include with the Request for DS-2019 form copies of your current immigration documents. Once International Scholar Services receives the request form and supporting documents from your department, International Scholar Services will review the information and issue a new DS-2019 form for your extension. That document legally extends your J-1 visit as long as you remain in the U.S. If you have a spouse or child(ren) in J-2 status, their stays will also be extended.

You do not have to obtain a new J-1 visa stamp in your passport unless you will be traveling outside the U.S. and reentering in J-1 status during your extension period. Should you travel outside the U.S. during this new period of valid J-1 status (other than visits of less than 30 days to Canada or Mexico and adjacent territories), you must have a valid J-1 visa in your passport. If your current J-1 visa has expired, you will use the new DS-2019 to apply for a new J-1 visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate outside the U.S.


  • Research Scholars and Professors may remain in the United States continuously in J-1 status for a maximum of five years. J-1 Specialists may remain in United States for up to one year, and Short-Term Scholars may remain for a maximum of six months.
  • When you apply for a J-1 extension, you do not need to pay the SEVIS fee again.
  • In extending your J-1 stay you must also be certain to extend your health insurance coverage. Failure to do so will result in the termination of your J-1 status.

Transferring your J-1 status

A J-1 Exchange Visitor may transfer from one designated Exchange Visitor program to another designated program. The transfer procedures must be completed prior to the end date as noted on the form DS-2019.

Transferring your J-1 status to another institution during your period of authorized stay may be permitted if the new program is consistent with the purpose of your program at NYU, but it will require a release of your record in SEVIS by International Scholar Services. The international office at your new institution must contact International Scholar Services regarding your transfer so the staff can release your record in SEVIS before you start at your new institution.

NYU Footer