If you wish to travel outside the U.S. and re-enter during your approved appointment period, you should be sure to have the following things at the time you re-enter the U.S.:
- Valid passport: Be sure that your passport is valid at least six months into the future from the day you re-enter the U.S.
- A valid O-1 visa stamp: Check your visa to make sure it will be valid on your intended re-entry date. Also note the number of entries allowed on your visa. If you do not have a valid O-1 visa, you will need to apply for one at a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas. For general information on obtaining a new visa, see the section on Applying for a Visa. (Please see the notes below if you are traveling to Canada or Mexico, or are a Canadian citizen.)
- The original Form I-797 (O-1 approval notice), which shows your O-1 approval for New York University. For those who receive an approval with a change of status or extension, the Form I-797 contains the I-94. Upon departure from the U.S., unless you are traveling to Canada or Mexico, your I-94 will be taken.
- An updated letter from your department that confirms your salary and employment dates (If the letter filed with your case is older than 6 months from your planned date of entry to the U.S., please obtain an updated one from your Department administrator).
- A copy of the O-1 petition (Form I-129) NYU filed for you. (This was given to you by Scholar Services when your O-1 petition was approved).