New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

International Students - Immigration

Studying at NYU Washington DC is NOT the same as studying at NYU in New York. International students may need a new I-20 or other immigration documentation to legally study at NYU Washington, DC.

International Students — i.e. any student who is not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident of the United States — must work with the Office of Global Services (formerly OISS) at NYU to determine their eligibility for study at NYU Washington, DC. NYU students can visit the Office of Global Services during walk-in hours to meet with an advisor. Visiting students can email

The Outbound Immigration and Mobility Services section of NYU’s Office of Global Services (OGS) will be your main contact in navigating the immigration and visa process. OGS will contact admitted students with information on how to access GlobalChek Plus (GCP), a self-service immigration tool created to help users find specific and up-to-date visa and entry information for future study away travel. Answer five simple questions and GCP instantly advises whether a visa is needed, outlines the required documentation, and the entire immigration process.

International Students: Additional Considerations

  • Depending on citizenship, some programs may be more difficult or easier to obtain required immigration status.
  • Fall semester may be easier to apply and receive student visa.
  • Online self-service visa and immigration tool - GlobalCheckPlus - will soon be open to all NYU students. Can be used to check immigration entry requirements for different programs based on citizenship.
  • Maintaining F-1 Status while away will require additional steps;visit the Study and Research Abroad page for more information about what you need to do before you leave/return to the US.


Apply Now!
Passport Info
NYU Footer