We’re delighted that you are thinking ahead about becoming an active member of NYU's global network. Your first step towards an away experience whether you will enroll at one of NYU's Global Academic Centers, participating on an alternative break, or through personal travel, is obtaining a passport.
A passport is a formal document issued by an authorized official of a country to one of its citizens. It is usually necessary for exit from and reentry into the country, allowing citizens to travel in a foreign country in accordance with immigration requirements.
US citizens must have a passport book or passport card in order to return to the United States from a foreign country (including Mexico and Canada).
Having a passport grants you a world of opportunities:
All first time passport applicants must apply in person at NYU Passport Drive Day or at an approved passport acceptance facility.
You are considered a Fist Time Applicant if:
At your appointment you will need to present the following materials (See side bar for more details)
1. Fill out form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
2. Submit completed form DS-11 in person
3. Submit evidence of U.S. citizenship
4. Present identification
5. Submit a photocopy of the identification document(s) presented (Step 4)
6. Pay the applicable fee
7. Provide one passport photo
***You must apply in person if previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged!****
To be considered a "First Time Applicant" you must either be applying for your first U.S. passport OR your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16.
All "First Time Applicants" must apply in person. If you cannot attend the Passport Drive (above), you can find the facility nearest you by going to http://iafdb.travel.state.gov/. If you have proof of travel within two weeks and would like to apply at a regional passport agency, you must make an appointment. To make an appointment, call 1-877-487-2778.
All first time applicants MUST complete the DS-11 Form. This form can be completed online or by hand. We have provided a sample hard-copy application for you to use as a template. Do NOT sign the form until at appointment and instructed by agent.
DS-11 Form (complete online and print)
DS-11 Form (complete by hand)
At the time of your appointment, you will need to show evidence of U.S. citizenship. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.
Primary (one of the following)
- Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
- Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
- Naturalization Certificate
- Certificate of Citizenship
If you do not have one of these primary forms, you can submit a combination of secondary materials. Plan to submit as many of the following as possible.
- Early Public Records
- Delayed Birth Certificate
- Letter of No Record
- Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit
- Foreign Birth Documents + Parent(s) Citizenship Evidence
- Voter registration card
- Army discharge papers
- Social Security card
In addition to proof of citizenship, you will need to present valid identification.
Primary (one of the following)
- Recently issued Naturalization Certificate
- Valid Driver's License or State ID*
- Current Government ID (city, state or federal)
- Current Military ID (military and dependents)
* If you present an out-of-state primary identification, you must present an additional ID document. For example, if you apply in New York with a Virginia Driver's License, you must present a second ID containing as much of the following information as possible: your photo, full name, date of birth and the document issuance date.
Secondary (you must submit as much secondary identification as possible)
Present a combination of documents that can be used to verify your personal identity. These documents are not acceptable as secondary identification when presented alone.
Example: Social Security Card + Credit Card + NYU Student ID + Library Card
At the appointment you will need to submit a photocopy of any identification documents you present.
Acceptable photocopies must be:
A copy machine will be available on site at Passport Day for students use.
All payments (including expediting fees) must be combined in ONE check or money order; multiple payments for a single passport are not acceptable.
First Time Applicant: $135
Passport Renewal: $110
You can also get a Passport Card (good for land travel to Canada or Mexico) for an additional $30.
The fee to expedite the process (if you want return service in 2-3 weeks, rather than 4 - 6 weeks) is $60 + $14.85 shipping.
Payment must be Check or Money Order only (no debit or credit cards), payable to U.S. Department of State.
Again, please ensure that all fees are combined in ONE check or money order. (We suggest arriving with a blank check and calculating the appropriate fees upon arrival.)
Other Passport Service fees (renewal, replacement): Passport Fees
The Passport Photo requirements are very strict so make sure you pay close attention to the requirements listed below. It is recommended you use a professional passport photo service.
Official Passport Style Photos must be:
- In Color
- Printed on photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size
- Sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
- Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
You should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires.
- If over age 16 when your passport was issued, passport is valid for 10 years
- If age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, passport is valid for 5 years
Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip.
Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met.
You will need to the following to renew your passport by mail or in person: