New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation


Most countries require all non-citizens to obtain some kind of visa or entry permit in order to live, study, work, or intern in their country, even if it's only for a short time. Even if you believe that you do not need a visa, you may need to gather and present supporting documentation beyond what would normally be required of a tourist.

All students attending NYU Sydney, except Australian passport holders, must obtain a Work and Holiday Visa for the duration of the program. The Work and Holiday Visa is good for up to one calendar year.

The Outbound Immigration and Mobility Services section of NYU’s Office of Global Services (OGS) will be your main contact in navigating the immigration and visa process. OGS will contact admitted students with information on how to access GlobalChek Plus (GCP), a self-service immigration tool created to help users find specific and up-to-date visa and entry information for future study away travel. Answer five simple questions and GCP instantly advises whether a visa is needed, outlines the required documentation, and the entire immigration process.

What is a Work and Holiday Visa?

It is an official electronic stamp issued by the Australian government that gets electronically linked to your passport before you depart for Australia. You must present it to immigration control when you arrive in Australia. You must have a visa because it is not legal to stay in Australia for your semester without it.

Please keep in mind that the Australian government authorities issuing visas are NOT affiliated with New York University, and they may independently create and/or change their requirements for obtaining a Work and Holiday Visa at any time without notification.

What do you need to do?

1. Obtain a valid passport – signed, have one blank page, and expire six months after the end of the program.

2. Confirm the type of visa and required materials needed. All admitted students will have access to GlobalCheckPlus, an online tool that will help determine next steps based on specific inputs (citizenship, type and length of program, etc.)

2. Gather all necessary materials. Any necessary admissions materials will be provided by the Office of Global Services. Other items will be listed in output from GlobalCheckPlus.

4. Apply for visa online as instructed by OGS and GlobalCheckPlus.

5. Go abroad!

International Students: Additional Considerations

  • Depending on citizenship, some programs may be more difficult or easier to obtain required immigration status.
  • Fall semester may be easier to apply and receive student visa.
  • Online self-service visa and immigration tool - GlobalCheckPlus - will soon be open to all NYU students. Can be used to check immigration entry requirements for different programs based on citizenship.
  • Maintaining F-1 Status while away will require additional steps;visit the Study and Research Abroad page for more information about what you need to do before you leave/return to the US.


Apply Now!
Passport Info
NYU Footer