New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation


Most countries require all non-citizens to obtain some kind of visa or entry permit in order to live, study, work, or intern in their country, even if it's only for a short time. Even if you believe that you do not need a visa, you may need to gather and present supporting documentation beyond what would normally be required of a tourist.

In most cases, unless you have a passport from Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan, you need a visa in order to study in China. Everyone must complete the visa survey (which you will receive via email), even if you don’t believe you need a visa. You will need a valid passport to complete the visa survey. Please note that your passport MUST be valid for 6 months AFTER THE END of your program.

The Outbound Immigration and Mobility Services section of NYU’s Office of Global Services (OGS) will be your main contact in navigating the immigration and visa process. OGS will contact admitted students with information on how to access GlobalChek Plus (GCP), a self-service immigration tool created to help users find specific and up-to-date visa and entry information for future study away travel. Answer five simple questions and GCP instantly advises whether a visa is needed, outlines the required documentation, and the entire immigration process.

What is a Student Visa?

It is an official stamp issued by the Chinese government that gets affixed to a page inside your passport before you depart for Shanghai. You must present it to immigration control upon arrival. It is not legal to study as a full-time student in China without it.

The Chinese Consulate is not affiliated with New York University. The Consulate is an entity of the Chinese national government that issues visas for students and performs other functions. Please keep in mind that Consulates may independently create and/or change their requirements for obtaining a Student Visa at any time without notification.

What do you need to do?

1. Obtain a valid passport – signed, have one blank page, and expire six months after the end of the program.

2. Confirm the type of visa and required materials needed. All admitted students will have access to GlobalCheckPlus, an online tool that will help determine next steps based on specific inputs (citizenship, type and length of program, etc.)

3. Gather all necessary materials. Admissions materials will be provided by the Office of Global Services. Other items will be listed in output from GlobalCheckPlus.

4. Apply for visa in person at your local consulate.

5. Go abroad!

International Students: Additional Considerations

  • Depending on citizenship, some programs may be more difficult or easier to obtain required immigration status.
  • Fall semester may be easier to apply and receive student visa.
  • Online self-service visa and immigration tool - GlobalCheckPlus - will soon be open to all NYU students. Can be used to check immigration entry requirements for different programs based on citizenship.
  • Maintaining F-1 Status while away will require additional steps;visit the Study and Research Abroad page for more information about what you need to do before you leave/return to the US.


Apply Now!
Passport Info
NYU Footer