New York University Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Navigation Skip to Sub Navigation

Visa Process

Unfortunately, NYU does not have the ability to change visa requirements, nor does it help if we call consulates or embassies on your behalf. Though we're happy to help you in whatever way we can, the decision to issue you a visa rests solely with the consulate or embassy. Below you'll find instructions for getting your visa, along with sample visa applications and supporting materials. Bear in mind that information is tailored for US students and that incoming students are best served by getting information from their local French consulate.

Forms & Links

ALL non-EU citizens studying abroad in Paris for a full year MUST obtain a Long Stay Study Visa before arriving in France. 

You will work with a Consulate General of France to obtain your visa. The application process varies among consulates, so work closely with your particular consulate and check their website often.

Long Stay Visa Application general guidelines can be found on the Freshman blog.

Note: Campus France and the French Consulate offices are not affiliated with New York University. They are entities of the French government and may create and/or change processing procedures or fees for obtaining a student visa at any time and without notice. It is your responsibility to follow the most up-to-date and accurate instructions as reflected on the French Consulate/Embassy  websites.


CampusFrance keeps track of all “foreign” (non-French) students studying in France: students who are directly enrolling in French Universities and students on study abroad programs (that’s you!). 


You MUST register with CampusFrance BEFORE you can apply for your student visa! 


Click here for general CampusFrance registration guidelines.



NYU Footer