For 2012, the cap is $179,700. The US Department of Health and Human Services salary cap is updated annually. The salary cap is not limited to the National Institute of Health only. For detailed information on current or past salary caps, please visit the DHHS website.
The Salary Cap Calculator has a template which shows the basic logic of rate-of-pay methodology. This methodology is required for compliance with the over-the-cap regulations. Here are a few things to consider when using the calculator:
- The calculator template shows the calculation for one month only. Additional months may be needed depending on your individual situation.
- In the example tab, jobs and retro adjustments are shown. You may have more or fewer jobs and adjustments than shown. Additional lines may be needed, as appropriate.
- Appointments, and the subsequent DHHS Salary Cap analyses and T&E Certifications, must reflect payments in the periods that effort was expended.
- A recalculation of the over-the-cap analysis is necessary whenever there is a change in the appointment distribution.
Any questions or concerns regarding cap administration should be addressed to Sponsored Programs Administration:
- Michael Miller - firstname.lastname@example.org, 8-2832
- Teresa Maryniak - email@example.com, 8-2941
- Joanne Goldstein - firstname.lastname@example.org, 8-2704
Resources are now available online for Time and Effort Reporting using NYU's Effort Reporting System (ERS). A valid NYU NetID and password may be required to view some of the following:
Cost Transfer Interim Guidelines (PDF 8kB)
T&E Faculty Announcement (PDF 73kB)
Faculty Effort Guidelines (Available on the OSP Web site under the Post-Award heading.)
Effort Reporting System Process Flowchart (PDF 227Kb)
Training on the Use of the Maximus ERS Presentation (PDF 500kB)
This overview of the ERS was presented at the training sessions held June 16–18, 2009.
Who, What, When, Where, Why and How Presentation (PDF 319kB)
This presentation was held on December 15, 2009.
Department Coordinator Quick Guide (PDF 271kB)
Certifier & PI Quick Guide (PDF 50kB)
Dental School Faculty Training Presentation (PDF 380kB)
This overview of the ERS was presented at the training session for Dental School faculty on January 18, 2012.
Nursing Faculty Training (4/30/12) (PDF 310kB)
ERS Access Via the Internet (PDF 43kB)
The following courses are available via NYUiLearn, NYU's portal for employee learning and development. To start using NYUiLearn, just sign in to NYUHome at home.nyu.edu and look for the "NYUiLearn Login" button located on the Work tab. Once you have logged in, visit the Course Catalog to register for courses. Users will need a computer with Internet access, a web browser with Flash Player 7 or higher, and headphones or speakers.
FIN 200: An Introduction to the Effort Reporting System (Flash Player required; duration: 15 min.)
This course is an introduction to NYU's Effort Reporting System (ERS). It will answer questions about the system's features including: online certification, home departments, Certifiers, user roles, line certification, 9 over 12 conversion, salary caps, K-awards, and cost transfers.
FIN 201: All About the NYU Effort Reporting System (Flash Player required; duration: 30 min.)
This tutorial is a step–by–step review of the effort certification process using NYU's Effort Reporting System. It will cover the following scenarios: changing certifier assignments, pre-review of the effort form, certification by Principal Investigator, certification by faculty, post-review, reporting, and view/read-only pre-review.