CHAPTER 27 - Stair and Elevator Signs - Sec.27-01
(a) These rules and
regulations shall apply to all buildings which have at least
one elevator including:
(1) Any existing office buildings occupied or arranged to
be occupied for an occupant load of more than one hundred
(100) persons above or below the street level or more than
a total of five hundred (500) persons in the entire building,
(2) All other existing buildings which have at least one elevator,
pursuant to section 27-390 of the Administrative (Building)
code, as enacted by Local Law 16 of 1984.
(b)Signs at elevator landings.
(1) Elevator landing sign. On all floors other than the main
entrance floor, a sign shall be posted and maintained on every
floor at the elevator landing. The sign shall read "IN CASE
OF FIRE, USE STAIRS UNLESS OTHERWISE INSTRUCTED."
(2) Floor diagram sign. The sign shall contain a floor diagram
showing the location where it is posted and the location and
letter identification of the stairs on the floor and each
(3) J-2 multiple dwellings. The floor diagram sign may be
omitted on all residential floors in J-2 multiple dwellings
(i) The stair is in the line of sight from the elevator call
(ii) The stair is located a maximum of twenty (20) feet from
the elevator call button, and
(A) There is not more than one stair, or
(B) Two sissor stairs, or
(C) A stair or fire escape serves only an individual apartment
and directional signs with arrows and reading "TO STAIRS"
(c) Location. The sign(s) shall be
(1) Directly above the call button, and
(2) Its top shall not be above six (6) feet from the floor
(3) The sign(s) may be placed on the wall or an adjacent conspicuous
place where there is insufficient wall space at the call button,
(4) The sign(s) may be placed on the elevator door(s) where
there is sufficient wall space or an adjacent conspicuous
place at the elevator landing.
Exception: Raised signs on horizontal sliding flush type
d) Floor number sign(s).
Floor numbering sign(s) shall be posted and maintained within
each stair enclosure on every floor. The floor numbering sign
shall be posted and maintained on the stair side of the door,
or if no door, nearby on the wall or an adjacent conspicuous
(e) Stair and elevator identification
signs. Each stair and each bank of elevators shall
be identified by an alphabetic letter. A sign indicating the
letter of identification for the elevator bank shall be posted
and maintained at each elevator landing directly above or
as part of the sign specified in section 27-01(b). The stair
identification signs shall be posted and maintained on the
occupancy and stair sides of the door, or if no door, nearby
on the wall or an adjacent conspicuous place.
(f) Stair re-entry signs.
Stair re-entry signs shall be posted and maintained on the
stair door at each floor in buildings classified in Occupancy
Group E, occupied or arranged to be occupied for an occupant
load of more than a
total of 500 persons in the entire building indicating re-entry
is provided. The signs shall be attached approximately five
feet above the floor. The signs shall read as follows and
may be either independent or combined with the corresponding
sign required by sections 27-392 and 27-393:
(1) Where no re-entry is provided:
(i) Where no re-entry is provided from the stairs to any floor,
the sign shall read "NO RE-ENTRY FROM THIS STAIR" and such
sign shall be posted and maintained on the occupancy side
of the stair door at each floor. No re-entry sign shall be
required on the stair side of the door.
(ii) On every floor where failsafe re-entry locking devices
are installed on exit doors, a sign reading "NO RE-ENTRY FROM
THIS STAIR EXCEPT DURING FIRE OR EMERGENCY" shall be posted
on the occupancy side of the stair door.
(2) Where re-entry is provided to specified floors:
(i) On the stair side of the door at floors where re-entry
is provided, the sign shall read "RE-ENTRY ON THIS FLOOR."
(ii) Where no re-entry is provided on that floor, the sign
on the stair side of the door shall read "NO RE-ENTRY, NEAREST
RE-ENTRY ON THE____AND ____FLOORS." The floor numbers of the
nearest re-entry below and the nearest re-entry floor above
shall be entered in the blank spaces.
(g) Size of signs.
(1) Signs for new buildings shall be limited to combined elevator
landing and floor diagram signs, conforming with paragraph
(4) below. Signs for existing buildings in Occupancy Group
J-2 may be either independent signs as required or combined
signs, conforming with the size requirements as set forth
in the following subdivisions.
(2) Elevator landing signs. Elevator landing signs shall be
at least two and one-half (2 1/2) inches by ten (10) inches.
(3) Floor diagram signs. Floor diagram signs shall be at least
eight (8) inches by twelve (12) inches.
(4) Combined elevator landing and floor diagram signs. Combined
elevator landing and diagram signs shall be at least ten (10)
inches by twelve (12) inches.
(h) Lettering and colors of signs.
(1) Lettering and background shall be in contrasting colors.
(2) Lettering shall be of bold-type and properly spaced to
provide good legibility.
(3) The lettering and numerals of the signs shall be at least
one-half inch high, except that:
(i) Floor numbering sign numerals shall be at least three
(ii) Elevator identification sign letters shall be at least
three inches high.
(i) Material for signs.
(1) Signs shall be of metal or other durable materials.
(2) Fire resistive pressure sensitive vinyl decals may be
permitted if the plastic is printed on the reverse side.
(j) Attachment of signs.
Signs shall be securely attached to the wall or partition.
(k) Signs in existing buildings.
(1) Signs installed prior to March 27, 1984 may be accepted
by the Commissioner, provided that such signs will adequately
accomplish the intended purpose.
(2) In buildings existing prior to March 27, 1984, the Commissioner
may modify the requirements as to location of signs where
compliance would cause practical difficulty or undue hardship.
(3) All existing buildings not already subject to the requirements
of Local Law 5 as of January 18, 1983 shall comply with these
requirements on or before October 1, 1985.
(l) Compliance date. Signs
shall be installed on or before October 1, 1985.
(m) Report of compliance.
Owners shall fire a report with the Department of Buildings
certifying that they have posted the signs in compliance with
the Building Code requirements on or before October 1, 1985.
(Added, City Record published 7/3/85, eff. 8/2/85.)