NYU Family Care works to support you as you navigate the admissions process with individual counseling, educational programs, and other resources.
Remember, the admissions process (list development, applications, tours, interviews, and assessment) occurs during the Fall of the year before you are seeking enrollment.
- Meet with your child’s current school as appropriate and begin to compile a list of schools to consider applying.
- Sign up for Spring tours that are offered by schools in which you are interested. Tours, if offered, are typically held during the months of April and May.
- Schedule a meeting with NYU Family Care to review schools and map out an admissions strategy.
- Continue to prepare for application process.
- Review websites of interested schools to familiarize yourself with how and when to attain the application, schedule a tour, etc.
- Begin to draft the application’s essays. This will serve as a template for all of your applications so you will want to take the time necessary to draft a thoughtful few paragraphs.
- The day after Labor Day, contact or download applications to all of the schools you are applying.
- Fill out applications and return them as soon as possible.
- Consider applying for financial aid.
- Schedule appointment to take the ISEE at the ERB office. Contact the ERB or schedule a date on-line. (Please note: This test can also be administered as early as April 1 of the year before you enroll your child and may only be taken once during the admissions cycle.)
- Determine if you need to request a fee reduction for the ERB. If yes, you must apply for one in advance of scheduling a testing date. Fee reductions for the ISEE are available through a partnership of the ERB and ISAAGNY.
- Review ISEE website to familiarize self with procedures and see sample questions. Consider buying a test prep book for a deeper review of materials.
- Carefully track all deadlines.
- Attend open houses, tour schools, school visits, and interviews.
- Be sure that your application packet is complete including the test scores, school transcript, teachers’ letter of recommendation, the graded writing sample, if requested, and financial aid application, if applicable.
- Watch the mail for Admission Notifications. See ISAAGNY for dates.
- Consider scheduling a second visit for your child at 1-2 of the admitted schools.
- If waitlisted, contact schools that you are still interested in gaining admission. Stay in touch as directed by school.
- As soon as practicable, decline offers at any school where you received an admission offer, that you are no longer interested in attending.
- Sign contract and pay deposit.