Your Local HR Officer or HR Business Partner
Each school has a Human Resources Officer (HRO), and each administrative unit has a Human Resources Business Partner, who provides overall strategic guidance to the unit head on human resources matters. They provide a wide range of human resources services to managers, supervisors, and individual employees in accordance with University and school or division policies and practices and in support of the goals of the unit. Your local HRO or HR Business Partner has experience handling employment and work-related matters and can answer your questions in these areas. In addition, they act as liaison with the Human Resources Division and other related administrative offices for guidance and support, as necessary. Depending on the size of your school/division, your local HRO or HR Business Partner may have additional staff to help provide these services. Click here to find your school's or unit's Local HR Contacts.
Some of the services your local HR office provides are:
- Helping supervisors to define recruitment/retention needs
- Developing strategies that encourage a broad and diverse pool of applicants
- Screening and interviewing applicants and recommending/hiring candidates for employment
- Counseling employees on career paths and opportunities
- Ensuring that employees' jobs are accurately classified and that employees are appropriately paid
- Advising supervisors on job evaluations, salary matters, titles and grades
- Administering annual salary increase programs
- Maintaining a positive and productive work environment
- Counseling supervisors and employees on preventing and resolving work problems, managing performance, etc.
- Ensuring that employees' complaints are handled appropriately
- Advising employees on time off policies and leaves
Learning and Development
- Counseling employees on professional growth and skills development
- Helping employees and supervisors to assess skills and recommend training programs
- Collaborating with Office of Learning and Organizational Development in the design, adaptation and delivery of learning programs
- Ensuring unit's compliance with University human resources policies, labor contracts, and federal and local employment laws
- Acting as liaison with Payroll to help employees resolve payroll problems
- Acting as liaison with Office of Academic Appointments on faculty employment, leaves/sabbaticals, appointments, etc.