NYU is proud of the opportunities and advantages we offer to our employees. As a part-time Adjunct Faculty member in the College of Arts and Science, Rory Meyers College of Nursing, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Gallatin School of Individualized Study, Graduate School of Arts and Science, Institute of Fine Arts, Institute for the Study of the Ancient World, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Robert F. Wagner Graduate School of Public Service, School of Professional Studies, Silver School of Social Work, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development, and Tisch School of the Arts, you may be eligible for some of the same benefits as full-time employees.
On this page, you will find links to general information about benefits for all adjunct or part-time faculty employed by the Employer in New York and covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NYU and Local 7902, who provide at least a total of 40 contact hours of instruction in one or more courses in an academic year (September 1 - August 31), or at least a total of 75 contact hours of individual instruction or tutoring during a semester, including faculty in positions currently designated under Adjunct Faculty and any equivalent or successor job family group to which such faculty may be appointed in the future.
Excluded are all full-time faculty and all other employees including Visiting Professors, Visiting Associate Professors, Visiting Assistant Professors, confidential employees, managerial employees and guards and supervisors as defined by the National Labor Relations Act. You can also access benefits forms and contact information for NYU benefit plan administrators. Click on the Collective Bargaining Agreement between NYU and Local 7902 for the Adjunct Faculty contract.
General Information about Your NYU Benefits
Planning for Your Retirement
- NYU Retirement Plan for Adjunct Faculty (PDF)
- NYU Supplemental Tax Deferred Annuity Plan (STDA) (PDF)
- Vanguard Funds Performance (STDA) (PDF)
- TIAA Funds Performance (STDA) (PDF)
Summaries of Benefits & Coverage (SBCs)
- 2017 Aetna HMO Summary of Benefits & Coverage-English (PDF)
- 2017 Aetna HMO Summary of Benefits & Coverage-Spanish (PDF)
- 2016 Aetna HMO Summary of Benefits & Coverage-English (PDF)
- 2017 Oxford HMO Summary of Benefits & Coverage-English (PDF)
- 2017 Oxford HMO Summary of Benefits & Coverage-Spanlish (PDF)
- 2016 Oxford HMO Summary of Benefits & Coverage-English (PDF)
Medical Summary Plan Descriptions (SPDs)
Health Insurance FAQs
Yes, if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Adjunct faculty who have met the one year qualification period and have at least 40 contact hours in one or more classroom courses in an academic year, or at least 75 contact hours of individual instruction or tutoring in two semesters (fall, spring, or summer), are eligible for health insurance.
Eligibility for the NYU health care contribution towards health insurance benefits is determined by the "look back" to the previous academic year. Fall, spring, and summer contact hours are considered for coverage effective in the next calendar year.
No, your health care premiums are not deducted from your paycheck. All adjuncts who enroll in a health plan receive a coupon booklet from EBPA, NYU's outside billing administrator. If you have not received your coupon booklet and are enrolled in one of the HMO plans, contact PeopleLink, NYU's benefits and payroll service center, at email@example.com or 212-992-LINK (5465) for assistance.
You are responsible for paying your premiums on the date the payment is due. The due date is shown on your coupons from EBPA. If your payment is not received within 30 days of the payment due date, your coverage will be terminated and you will not be eligible to participate in the HMO until the next open enrollment period (if you meet the eligibility requirements).
The number of contact hours determines if NYU will contribute to the cost of your health care coverage. Remember, all health insurance eligibility is based on the previous academic year.
There are three categories, based on the number of contact hours in the prior academic year. Adjuncts whose hours fall within Category A, B, and F are eligible to receive an NYU contribution to the cost of their health care. Adjuncts who work for the Dental Center, or whose hours fall within Category C, do not receive an NYU contribution, but are eligible to enroll in the Aetna HMO and pay the full premium cost.
- Category A:
- If you taught a minimum of 126 contact hours of instruction in the fall, spring, or summer of the previous academic year, or
- If you taught a minimum of 225 hours of individualized instruction in the previous academic year, with a minimum of 75 hours in two semesters (fall, spring, or summer).
- Category B:
- If you taught less than 126 hours, but at least 84 contact hours of instruction in the fall, spring, or summer of the previous academic year, or
- If you taught less than 225 hours, but at least 150 hours of individualized instruction in the previous academic year, with a minimum of 75 hours in two semesters (fall, spring, or summer).
- Category C:
- If you are eligible for the bargaining unit (i.e. worked at least 40 hours, but less than 84 hours in either the fall, spring, or summer of the previous academic year) and do not meet the qualifying service criteria for subsidized coverage.
- Category F:
- If you taught a minimum of 168 contact hours of instruction in the fall, spring, or summer of the previous academic year. Individualized instruction hours are not taken into consideration for this category.
School HR Officers are responsible for calculating and reporting each adjunct's hours.