When you log into the LiveWhale application, you'll be placed into the Your Events: Manage Events screen.
Note: If you are a member of more than one Calendar Group, you can switch into that group by selecting the appropriate group name from the drop-down menu next to Logged in as at the top of the screen.
Add an event:
- Click the Add a New Event link.
- Enter the event's title in the space that says, Enter a title for this event. This is a mandatory field.
- If you wish for your event to be added to our featured event section on the public calendar page, click the star next to Featured event in order to highlight it. Keep in mind that we can only feature up to 4 events per day.
- Select the Start Date & Time and End Date & Time for your event, where applicable. If this is an all-day event, check the box labeled All Day. If you wish to create this event in a different time zone other than your default time zone (which, for most folks is EDT), select the appropriate time zone by clicking on the button labled EDT. This will open up a drop-down menu from which you may select the appropriate time zone for your event. Read more about changing the time zone for your event.
- If this event should repeat on a schedule, select the schedule from the drop-down menu labeled Repeat this event. Read more about Managing Repeating Events.
- Enter a brief 1 (or max 2) sentence Summary describing the event. This shouldn't be the event description. The Summary will appear underneath your event's title on the public calendar list of events. You can use the basic text formatting options (bold, italic, underline) on the toolbar to enhance your text. You can also add a link to another URL.
- In the Event description section, make sure to include as many details about your event as possible. For example: event participant names, sponsoring departments, whether an ID is required to attend, etc. You can use the utilities on the formatting toolbar to enance your text. You can also insert images, and audio or video files (hosted on an external source). If your event should link to an external event URL, click link to another page and then enter the event url. Your external url will be validated upon saving the event data.
- On the right-hand side, under Category (or categories) for this event, check off any relevant categories to which the event belongs. Note, you must select at least 1 category.
- Note that when you select a Category, some useful and popular Tags will be suggested to you as you create an event. Click on the Tag to select it. You can also start typing in the space provided and if a Tag is already in the system, it will be suggested as you type. To see a list of all Tags in the system, click on Show all tags. Or, add your own Tags in the space provided. Type a comma (,) and hit the return key after you enter each Tag. Each Tag you enter will be saved to your calendar Group's Tag Library.
- For Event cost, you may add the word Free, or put in the amount of the ticket/registration fee. Best not to leave the field blank.
- The Briefing field is a special field for internal data processing used by one of our Calendar Groups. It is not required to add any data in this field. Information added to this field will not show up on the public display of your event details, but will show up in feeds (.ics, .rss) of your events.
- For Location, add the name and/or address for the location for your event. If you want to add a map to your event (and we recommend that you do!), click the Show all places link under the Plot this event on a map? to see if your location is already in our global location list. If so, click on the location, and it will be added to your event.
- If your location isn't in our list, click the Create a new Place option. You may then enter in the location details. Click the box next to Add this to your Places for future use? if you would like your new place to be saved to your group's Places Library.
- Under the section labeled Images you may attach images to this event. Images are taken from your Group's Image Library or may be selected from the Global Image Library. To choose an existing image from your Image Library, click Select from your image library. If you want to upload a new image to attach to this event, click Add images from your computer. Newly uploaded images will be added to the Image Library and attached to this event. You can then choose to use this image as a thumbnail for your event listing which will be displayed next to your event listing on the public calendar. Note: To be considered for our Featured Events listing, your event must have an associated image.
- In the section labeled Related content, you may enter in an associated URL for your event, or reference a file you've uploaded to your File Library.
- To add a basic RSVP to your event, put a check mark in the box next to Allow site visitors to RSVP for this event. There are some specific settings you may wish to implement, so we encourage you to read more about Creating RSVPs. If you've created a RSVP, read more about Managing Event Registration.
- To save your content and/or publish your event to the public calendar, scroll back up to the right-hand side section above the Category listings. Next to the Post event as option, the drop-down menu that by default says Live, will also allow you to choose Hidden. Live will publish the event immediately. Hidden will save your content in draft form, and hide it from the public calendar until you are ready to publish it.
- Add the Contact Info for this event. By default, your Calendar Group's public name will appear in this box. However, we encourage you to fill out this space with additional contact information: phone number, email address, etc. Note, if you enter an email address, but do not make it a mailto link, this will be done automatically for you.
- When you have finished entering in your event information, click the Save this event button.