Open a Page
To begin adding or editing content on a page, you must first open the page on which you wish to work. Do the following:
- To Open a Parent Page
In the left-hand Navigation pane, double-click on the parent page's icon. The page will open, by default, in Edit mode.
- To Open a Child Page
In the left-hand Navigation pane, click on the + sign to expand the parent page. You will see each child page listed. To view the page:
- Double-click on its page icon, or
- To see each child page listed in the right-hand Details pane, click once on the parent page icon. Then, to view the page, double click on its name. Users may also right-click on the page in the right-hand side Details pane and select Open. The page will open, by default, in Edit mode.
In page Edit mode, the left-hand Navigation pane is replaced by the Asset Tray, a listing of all existing content types in the CMS repository. The Sidekick floats on top of your page and holds components, properties, and other editing tools.
Note: After you have opened a page, you can navigate to and edit other pages within your content area by clicking their links in the page navigation.
Add Content to a Page
The page template is subdivided into sections to which you may add various types of content. Available sections are surrounded by dashes and are labeled Drag components or assets here. See our tutorial on Adding a Component for detailed instructions.
- Use the Sidekick to select the component for the type of content you wish to add to the highlighted section. For example, select the "Rich Text" component to add a block of text to the page.
Alternately, you can right-click on the section and select New OR double-click on the section and an "Insert New Component" window will open with a list of the available components for that section. When you select your component, its dialog window will open allowing you to add in your content.
- Drag the selected component into the section.
- Double-click on the component icon to open an Edit dialog window that allows you to insert your content. You may also right-click on the component and select edit.
- Add the appropriate content type for your chosen component. Take note of any required fields marked with an asterisk (*) and any additional tabs that may contain input fields.
- Click the OK button to finish.
Note: When adding an image or other media-based components, you must first upload and activate digital assets to use use within your unit's DAM folder or utilize assets from the shared DAM folder.
The use of white space is important in layout. Emptiness allows objects to be seen and the clever use of white (or more precisely, lighter) spaces helps the more contrasted and outlined elements show themselves and vice versa.
What is a lighter space?
- If a layout contains harsh contrast (images with hard colors, big text elements, graphically complex parts) then a dense block of text may also be considered as a light space, because it will automatically shift to a lesser optical value.
- On the other hand, if the page is already light in contrast (has couple of headers and maybe one small image), then a dense block of text looks much more prominent and we have to watch its placement and size.
- Empty spaces are also part of lighter space, and can be used to balance the layout of a page. However, they should be used sparingly and with purpose.
Sometimes the content spreads in a way where it leaves empty spaces. What can be done when there is:
Too much content?
- Remove, model or shorten some content in order to obtain a more balanced layout.
Not enough content?
- Think of related topics, news or events, maps or secondary content that may be useful to the main subject.
Empty space scattered throughout the page?
- Use 1- or 2-column small elements to fill them.
- Extend the wording in your text content. 1 or 2 words sometimes can make all the difference.