Some of the most common issues users have with the CMS can be resolved with the following troubleshooting techniques. If you're experiencing issues with specific components, please refer to our list of known issues.
- Before contacting the IT Service Desk, always check your browser first. Currently, Mozilla Firefox is the only supported browser for content creation in the CMS.
- For optimal viewing of the CMS interface, use a screen resolution of 1024 x 768 or higher and the most recent version of Firefox.
- If your system does not allow for 1024 x 768 resolution, 800 x 600 will still allow you to view the full width of the page.
- Download Firefox
- Log out of the CMS
- Go to History in dropdown menu
- Select "Clear Recent History..."
- Check "Cache" from details
- Make sure time range is set to "Everything"
- Click Clear Now
- Quit Firefox
- Reopen Firefox
- Log in to the CMS
If you have your Firefox browser set to disable all pop-ups then dialogue windows needed to interact with the CMS authoring environment will not be able to appear on your screen. Follow these steps to disable your pop-up blocker in Firefox.
- Go to Firefox in the menu bar
- Select "Preferences" from the list of menu options
- Click the tab for "Content"
- Uncheck the box for "Block pop-up windows"
Sometimes the solutions listed above aren't enough to overcome issues you may be having with your browser. In these situations, try refreshing Firefox.
- Learn how to refresh for your Firefox browser here.
- This will reset add-ons and settings while saving essential information.
Our authoring environment utilizes Adobe Flash, so make sure you're using the latest version so you don't experience any issues when creating and updating your content. It also doesn't hurt to check any other plugins your browser may utilize for other programs or sites.
- Firefox has an easy to use, web-based plugin checker available here.
- You can also verify your version of Adobe Flash directly on Adobe's website.
- Download the latest version of Adobe Flash here.
If you're experiencing an issue other users have had in the past, try resolving it with the steps listed below before reaching out to the IT Service Desk for support. For component related troubleshooting, check our list of known issues.
When I try to log in I only see a white page and nothing is loads
- This will occur if you are off of the NYU Network, you will need to follow these instructions to access the CMS through VPN.
My content does not appear correctly in the CMS
- Refresh the page within the CMS, and then refresh the browser.
- Some processes take a while to display properly, so be patient and do not over-click.
- Is the content in a show/hide display? You may have to click a plus icon to see everything.
My content does not appear on the live website
- Remember to activate the page. Nothing will appear online until you publish it, by Activating.
Phantom objects follow my cursor
- Refresh your browser window.