NYU Fiscal Officer Corner
News for Fiscal Officers and Staff
This page is a compilation of NYU finance related resources intended for quick reference for NYU school and business unit Fiscal Officers and their staff.
Fiscal Year 2019 News & Announcements
In order to track costs related to COVID-19, a required field has been added to requisitions. The field is a dropdown selectable field with YES or NO as the two selectable values. The field must be completed in order for the requisition to be submitted and the only possible values are YES or NO. The requestors will need to complete before the Submit Order will be active.
Please pass along to anyone that requires this information.
By Definition, A COVID-related expense is an expense that would not have been incurred if not for the virus.
2019 Position Management Updates
On September 1st, 2019, Position Management updates went live. The enhancements include new reports, dashboards, and improvements to the system and processes.
The following communication was sent to the Fiscal Officers on April 29, 2019.
We are pleased to announce the new Chartfield Maintenance (CFM) application is now available. You may begin using this tool to request new chartfield segments.
As a reminder, submitting requests via email and ModTrak is no longer accepted. Please use the CFM forms to create, modify and inactivate the following chartfield segments:
- Organization unit
- Program for Undesignated Operating Funds (Funds 10, 12, 14, 16, including all Global, NYUAD and NYUSH Funds)
- Program and Project for Fund 20 (Management Designated)
- Program and Project for Fund 22 (Restricted Gift)
- Program for Endowment Funds (Funds 41, 42, 43, 45 and 46)
- Program for Fund 40 (Investment)
- Program for Fund 44 (Annuities and Life Insurance)
- Program for Fund 60 (Service Centers)
How to Access CFM:
- Navigate to the Chartfield Maintenance Forms card from the NYU Home > Work Tab
- Or via the CFM url: https://bpasprod.its.nyu.edu/cfm/jsp/home.jsp
- If you do not see the card in your Work tab, please contact AskFinanceLink@nyu.edu
- Until May 10: contact email@example.com for all questions
- After May 10: contact AskFinanceLink@nyu.edu or 212-998-1111 for all questions
The following will become available in the coming months:
- Processing mass requests
- Reporting on all submitted requests
We appreciate your support of this process improvement initiative.
April 29, 2019
The following communication was sent to the Finance Council on February 4, 2019.
Good Afternoon Finance Council,
We hope this message finds you well, and we are delighted to announce that the application for the NYU Finance Academy is now live. Special thanks to the working groups for their efforts on this program.
The target audience for this program is administrators in finance-related roles where 50% or more of their job responsibilities are related to finance or budget specific tasks. Please feel free to share broadly (or specifically, if you have someone in mind).
We will be accepting self-nominations until February 28th. Interested individuals can apply at http://bit.ly/nyu_finance_academy
If you have any questions, feel free to contact us.
Eric Loffsfold, project lead
Mike McCaw, project manager
February 4, 2019
The following communication was sent to P-Card Users, Approvers, and Fiscal Officers on November 27, 2018
To P-Card System Users and Approvers,
Beginning in December 2018, all P-Card transactions approved in the GRAM System will post to submitted chartfields regardless of available balance, with the exception of transactions for funds 24 and 25 (sponsored funds). The update will significantly reduce the manual cleanup effort required to address transactions that fail budget check, which is currently required each month after transactions are processed.
This change will impact transactions as follows:
- Transactions that fail budget check will still be posted, and may result in a budget deficit.
- This will also apply to default chartfields. If an invalid chartfield is replaced with a default chartfield that fails budget check, that transaction will still be posted to the default chartfield, and may result in a budget deficit.
- Please note that any budget deficits that occur as a result of these transactions should be remediated as soon as possible.
- This change does not apply to funds 24 and 25 (sponsored funds), which will continue to follow existing processes.
Thank you for the continued support as we implement this change.
November 27, 2018
The following communication was sent to Fiscal Officers on October 8, 2018.
As part of our continued efforts to maintain and exhibit best business practices, the University will be reaching out to suppliers who have not yet registered in the i-Buy NYU Supplier Portal.
The i-Buy NYU Supplier Portal provides self-service for NYU’s suppliers to:
- Access and upload invoices
- View purchase orders
- Obtain payment status on uploaded invoices
- Maintain and update address, contact, payment, tax and insurance information
Individuals reimbursed for guest travel will not be asked to register.
Effective immediately, suppliers will only be able to update their address, contact, payment, tax and insurance information through the i-Buy NYU Supplier Portal.
Please review the Supplier On-Boarding Policy for more information.
Registration in the i-Buy NYU Supplier Portal is essential for the accurate, timely issuance of purchase orders and payment of invoices.
For information on how NYU conducts business with Suppliers please see How to do Business With NYU on the Supplier Information page.
Direct link for the suppliers that have already registered: i-Buy NYU Supplier Registration Portal
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
October 8, 2018
The following message was sent to myTime Time Sheet Approvers. Please direct any questions to PeopleLink at email@example.com.
Dear Time Sheet Approver,
You are receiving this message because of an important change to the way unapproved student hours will be charged to your budget.
All unapproved hours a student works will automatically be charged to a non-federal work study salary account (default chartfield) in PeopleSync for the appropriate school or unit, instead of being charged to the FWS program chartfield.
Federal guidelines require that all FWS hours be certified, reconciled, and approved by the student’s supervisor in order to use the federal funds.
As part of our continued effort to review process and policy, we have identified an opportunity to clarify and strengthen our practice in regards to Federal Work Study (FWS) administration.
The following change will be effective beginning with the 10/1/2018 MyTime (payroll) deadline for the pay period ending 09/30/2018:
- In the event that a FWS student’s time sheet is not approved in myTime before the payroll deadline (XLS), all unapproved hours worked will automatically be charged to a non-federal work study salary account (default chartfield) in PeopleSync for the appropriate school or unit, instead of being charged to the FWS program chartfield.
- Approvers will have the ability to go back two pay periods to amend/approve unapproved time sheets to correct the chartfield.
- Unapproved time sheets that go back further than two pay periods will require a retro amendment/approval by your Human Resources Officer (HRO).
- Fiscal Officers will then be required to create a Payroll Accounting Adjustment to correct the hours erroneously charged to default chartfield.
If you have any questions, please contact PeopleLink at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-992-5465.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
September 28, 2018
Fiscal Year 2018 News & Announcements
Budget Modifications After FAME 9.2 Upgrade
UPDATE: This issue has been resolved (July 11, 2018)
During the FAME 9.2 upgrade some Budget Modifications may have posted as a modification to the original budget in error, rather than as an adjustment journal as intended. This issue is being addressed. All of these journal postings will be corrected as soon as possible.
July 3, 2018
The following communication was sent to all FAME and UDW+ users on June 11, 2018.
The FAME upgrade from version 9.0 to version 9.2 is complete. You may now access all FAME dependent applications and continue processing June financial transactions.
Systems Now Available:
- AP Workflow
- CAYUSE integration
- Chartfield Access Requests
- CPACS & WIMSY (Chartfield Validation / i-Buy transactions)
- ERS (Maximus)
- i-Buy NYU
UDW+ June financial information will not be reflected until end of day on Wednesday, June 13.
Please contact AskFinanceLink@nyu.edu or 212-998-1111 with any questions.
June 11, 2018
The following communication was sent to all FAME and UDW+ users on May 29, 2018.
As discussed at the April 18th Financial Forum, the PeopleSoft Financials application (FAME) is being upgraded from version 9.0 to version 9.2. This is primarily a "technical upgrade" in which the application and supporting software are upgraded to the more recent version of PeopleSoft and PeopleTools.
Please note important dates and information that will impact when transactions are posted in FAME and available in UDW+.
FAME and UDW+ Availability
The upgrade activities will commence upon the conclusion of the month-end close activities for May 2018 (June 7, 2018). All May transactions will be reflected in UDW+.
UDW+: During the FAME upgrade period you may continue to access and run reports; however, June financial information will not be reflected until end of day on Wednesday, June 13.
- Start: Friday, June 1 at 8:00 am ET
- Finish: Wednesday, June 13 at 5:00 pm ET
FAME: The application and associated financial transactions will be unavailable during the upgrade.
- Start: Thursday, June 7 at 5:00 pm ET
- Finish: Monday, June 11 at 8:00 am ET
The following FAME dependent applications will be unavailable Thursday, June 7 at 5:00 pm ET until Monday, June 11 at 8:00 am ET:
- AP Workflow
- CAYUSE integration
- Chartfield Access Requests
- CPACS & WIMSY (Chartfield Validation / i-Buy transactions)
- ERS (Maximus)
- i-Buy NYU
Support: Please contact AskFinanceLink@nyu.edu or 212-998-1111 with any questions.
May 29, 2018
The Supplier Information page has been updated with information on how to do business with NYU. It offers helpful information on subjects such as registering as an NYU supplier, new supplier requests, the University’s Procure to Pay process, payment terms and more.
May 24, 2018
The following communication was sent to Cardholders of Bank of America Payment Cards on April 12, 2018.
Effective April 11, 2018
We want to update you on the latest enhancement to the NYU Payment Card process.
To improve the card renewal experience we have updated all Verification IDs in the GRAM system.
What Does This Mean for You As a Cardholder?
Cardholders are prompted for the Verification ID at card activation, PIN number set up, and any other occasions when they reach out to Bank of America’s Help Desk. Effective immediately, all cardholders should use their employee ‘N’ number listed on the back of their University ID card as the new Verification ID. The ID should consist of nine (9) numeric digits, therefore, the letter ‘N’ would be converted to number ‘6’ as the first number of the Verification ID in the GRAM system or when talking to Bank of America. An example of the new Verification ID is: 612345678 instead of N12345678.
The updates are completed in the GRAM system and relevant to all US based cardholders, as well as cardholders carrying US cross border cards in the following portal campus and global study away sites:
NYU Abu Dhabi NYU Prague
NYU Berlin NYU Tel Aviv
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com
NYU Global Payment Cards Team
group email: firstname.lastname@example.org
April 12, 2018
To access your 2017 Form W-2 online, please follow the instructions Accessing Electronic Form W-2 Quick Step Guide (PDF).
A kiosk is available at 105 East 17th Street, 3rd floor, for employees who wish to use this service. You will be able to view and print your 2017 Form W-2’s from this private kiosk workstation. There will be step by step instructions at the kiosk for those that need assistance.
Employees who have elected to receive a paper 2017 Form W-2 should receive it via the US Postal Service, the week of January 29th. To consent to receive an electronic copy only of future Form W-2’s, please follow the instructions Opt Out of Paper Form W-2 (PDF).
If you have questions, please contact PeopleLink at AskPeopleLink@nyu.edu or 212-992-LINK (5465).
Restriction of Gift Card Purchases on Bank of America Payment Cards
The IRS considers all gift cards cash and cash equivalents subject to tax regardless of the amount of the gift card (e.g. a $1 gift card is subject to tax). Bank of America Payment Cards cannot track and break out gift card purchases; they just track the merchant, e.g., CVS.
The following communication was sent to Fiscal Officer’s on October 26, 2017.
We are writing to provide clarification on the processes for Standing Orders. Please note the following (and please share with your i-Buy NYU Shoppers/Requestors):
Open FY17 Standing Orders were rolled as part of the overall PO roll into FY18. We apologize for any confusion caused by prior communications stating FY17 Standing Orders were closed.
Effective Monday November 20, 2017 all remaining OPEN FY17 Standing Orders will be closed. If appropriate, please ensure new FY18 Standing Orders are opened to avoid disruptions.
FY18 and Future Fiscal Years:
For all future year-end close processes the following will be initiated:
- Standing Orders that meet the criteria of (a) open balance greater than $250 and (b) activity within the last 120 days will be rolled forward to the new fiscal year.
All other Standing Orders will be closed as per the standard year-end PO close process.
- The Standing Orders rolled forward to the new fiscal year will remain open for a period of six weeks in order for any lagging invoices to be paid.
- Invoices for Standing Orders that were rolled to the new fiscal year will be charged to the new fiscal year. Accruals should be submitted if the goods / services were received prior to 8/31.
- Once the six week period into the new Fiscal Year is met, all prior year Standing Orders will be closed.
PLEASE NOTE: Standing orders are not auto renewed on yearly basis. Each school and unit is responsible for submitting a new Standing Order each year for those they wish to renew.
For questions regarding Standing Orders please contact Financelink at email@example.com or 212-998-1111.
October 26, 2017
New Supplier Request Form for Guest Reimbursements
The new Supplier Request Form for Guest Reimbursements will be available in i-Buy NYU effective June 12. 2017. The Supplier Request Form for Guest Reimbursements should be used only when NYU has agreed to reimburse an individual for costs they incur for coming to the University for an engagement.
Fiscal Year 2017 News & Announcements
A revision has been made to the Signature Authority Policy as it relates to equipment leases. Signature Authority Policy
Please send requests for approval along with a copy of the lease agreement to the University Treasurer, Janine Wilcox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 12, 2017
Procurement has created helpful Bid Waiver Form Guidelines to assist in clarifying for the University when and how the Bid Waiver Form should be used. The Guidelines are easily accessible on the i-Buy NYU Resources Portal (PDF).
June 15, 2017
The revisions include:
- Sales Tax (Page 7)
- Travel Insurance (Page 10)
- Extended Travel (Page 13)
June 15, 2017
The following communication regarding "New Legal Requirements for Honoraria Payments" was sent to FOs, HROs and all i-Buy NYU Advanced Requestors on May 12, 2017.
In order to comply with the new NYC Freelance Worker Protection Law, beginning May 15, 2017, the following process must be followed for all honorariums:
- The honorarium recipient and a representative of the University (with signatory authority) must sign a new “honorarium agreement” before the honorarium activity may commence (Note: A link to the agreement will be available in i-Buy NYU, the HRO Blog and on nyu.edu/financelink beginning May 15, 2017). This is the only form acceptable to ensure NYU’s compliance with new regulations. Individual contracts and agreements from schools or units may not be used.
- Once the honorarium activity is completed, the Requestor must invite the recipient to complete the supplier registration process in i-Buy NYU. This process remains unchanged.
- Once the recipient is a registered supplier in i-Buy NYU, the Requestor must submit the existing Honoraria/Limited Engagement Form in i-Buy NYU to initiate payment and attach the signed Honorarium Agreement at the “Internal Attachments”.
For questions about this new process, please contact FinanceLink at email@example.com or 212-998-1111.
May 12, 2017
New Procedure for Compromised Payment Cards
The following communication was sent to Fiscal Officers and Payment Card Approvers on 12/22/16. Bank of America’s New Procedure for Compromised Payment Cards (PDF)
Fiscal Year 2016 News & Announcements
The i-Buy NYU Resource Portal was created to provide the NYU Community with one stop to access presentations, training documents and additional project materials about Project Lighthouse and i-Buy NYU.
- View the iBuy NYU Resource Portal (NYU Login Required)
Should you have questions about i-Buy NYU, please feel free to reach out to the project team via firstname.lastname@example.org.
April 29, 2016
The Chartfield Access Authorization Form now includes a section to request access to the reporting departments for UDW+ Departmental Metrics Dashboard (UDM) and the proposals tabs on the D03. Grants Management Dashboard.
When an individual from your department requests chartfield access to either one of these reporting departments, you will receive an email asking to approve or deny their request.
Please note that in addition to chartfield access for UDW+ Departmental Metrics Dashboard (UDM), users will need to request UDM reporting access by contacting the Decision Support Group at email@example.com or 212-998-2900, and also receiving approval from their Dean.
If you have any questions, please contact the FinanceLink Service Center at 212-998-1111 or AskFinanceLink@nyu.edu.
November 19, 2015
Prevent Declined Transactions on Payment Cards
Due to significant increase in fraudulent transactions for all payment card issuers globally, banks have implemented strict preventive controls to mitigate this fraud risk. As a result, payment card transactions may be declined more frequently due to suspicious triggers or activities.
The Global Payment Card team created a memo with information to assist in identifying triggers for declined transactions and steps to avoid them. This was sent out to Fiscal Officers on October 5, 2015.
Fiscal Year 2015 News & Announcements
Use the subaward invoicing system to manage payments to your subawardees! Click here for more information. A quick reference guide and training video are also available to help you navigate the system.
Questions? Contact the SPA Team Analyst for your school.
February 10, 2015
If you are a student employed by NYU and did not get paid on your regularly scheduled pay date (missed a payment), please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the missed pay date, the corresponding dates in which you worked, and the name of your immediate supervisor.
If you need assistance recording your hours worked, please use The Student Employee’s Guide to Using NYU myTime for instructions.
For all other student pay related inquires and assistance please continue to contact PeopleLink at 212-992-5465 or email@example.com.
October 12, 2015 (Updated October 27, 2015)
Departmental Purchases at the NYU Bookstore and Computer Store
In an effort to secure and streamline departmental purchases made at the NYU Book and Computer Stores, the paper, approved purchaser “lists” maintained by the Stores will be retired immediately.
Going forward departmental purchases made at the NYU Book and Computer Stores can be made using the following widely utilized and easy to use methods: