A person who wishes to administer a survey to students, faculty and staff, who do not enroll or work in that person’s office or school, must first obtain approval from the Office of the Provost. In addition, a person who receives e-mail or traditional mail addresses of individuals in schools or offices other than those who work for this person will be responsible for that information and must sign a statement, agreeing to adhere to NYU policies for handing data. The person must also agree not to provide these addresses to other offices or to reuse the addresses to administer other surveys without permission from the Office of the Provost.
To obtain permission from the Office of the Provost to distribute surveys to individuals outside one’s school or office, one must complete and send the survey administration form to the Office of Institutional Research and Program Evaluation with the following information: (Please allow 4 weeks for a response to your request.)
- The desired population to be surveyed.
- The intended method of survey administration (i.e. e-mail, mail or another method).
- The proposed date(s) on which the survey will be administered and any pre- or post-mailings encouraging survey participation.
- A description of any planned incentive program for respondents.
- The purpose of the survey and how the information will be used.
- Please provide one of the following two items:
- Evidence that the person administering the survey has received approval from the University Committee on Activities Involving Human Subjects (UCAIHS). Committee approval is required if the findings from the survey are used for any purposes other than internal review, i.e, if findings from the survey will be used for research purposes. Research is defined by the federal government as, “a systematic investigation designed to produce generalizable knowledge”. Generally, the results of research are reported through outside publications or presented in a forum that includes individuals outside of the university. If you are unsure whether or not your survey administration requires review, contact the UCAIHS at (212) 998-4808.
- A statement indicating that the person administering the survey will use survey findings only for internal purposes, i.e., the findings of the survey are not for research purposes, as defined above, and will not be presented or published in any public forum.
Acceptance of authorization to administer a survey establishes an obligation on the part of the individual(s) to use these data responsibly, including to not redistribute the data to others in or outside the University, unless the individual(s) is an authoritative source for and an authorized distributor of the data and the recipient(s) is authorized to receive the data. Moreover, the data are not allowed to be stored on computers or servers outside NYU, unless such storage is authorized and protected.