Data Governance Initiative
New York University recognizes the need to develop an Administrative Data Governance Initiative to manage the quality, consistency, usability, security, accessibility, and availability of administrative data. This initiative is comprised of the people, policies, standards, processes, metrics, education, and technologies required to fully manage the University’s administrative data as an enterprise asset.
New York University's Administrative Data Governance Initiative is:
- focused on University administrative data, in contrast to data related to Teaching and Learning; Research; or Community Life.
- initially concerned with administrative data maintained by University administrative offices, but in the future will expand to include administrative data maintained in academic areas (schools, colleges, institutes, etc.).
Although the scope of the Initiative is all administrative data, implementation of data governance will occur in a phased manner – either in particular offices, or with more critical data across offices.
The main objectives of the Data Governance Initiative include:
- To define, approve, and communicate data strategies, policies,
standards, procedures, and metrics.
- To track and enforce conformance to data policies, standards, and
- To manage and resolve data related issues.
- To understand and promote the value of data assets.
- To reduce University risk by maintaining quality data.