- In an emergency always dial 911
- NYU faculty and those living in Faculty Housing can also rely on the NYU Public Safety Office for assistance. The Office can be reached 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by phone, 212-998-2222
- Emergency Contact Information
Keep your pediatrician's contact information and your family's health insurance information posted near the phone for quick and easy access.
Other numbers you may want to keep by the phone include:
- NYC Emergency - 911
- NYU Public Safety - (212) 998-2222
- Poison control - (800) 222-1222
- Police department
- Fire department
- Local hospital
- Family/Friend/Neighbor (names and phone)
- Other medical specialists for you and family members
Contact information for local NYC hospital, fire, and police departments is available in the Benefits and the Community section of the Office of Faculty Resources website.
The New York Public Library branches near Washington Square have Community Information services which list local fire houses, hospitals and police stations. Visit the NYPL website to find your local branch and view your local emergency resources (under "Neighborhood Information" on your local branch's web page)
- Familiarize yourself with the New York City Office of Emergency Management (OEM) resources including,
- Brochures on how to protect children, seniors, people with special needs, and pets.
- Essential items for an Emergency Supply Kit when you are instructed to “shelter in place” and items for a “Go Bag” in the event you need to leave your home to a safe alternative location.
- “Stay Informed. Stay Connected.” Sign-up with one or both of the NYC OEM’s alerts.
- These and other resources are available through the NYC Office of Emergency Management.