New York City is a very exciting place to raise children. There are many strong options for public and private schools throughout the five boroughs of New York City. Understanding and locating your educational options can seem complicated whether you are looking for private or public school options.
The information in these webpages is designed to provide detailed information and resources to help make the process more manageable for you and your family.
NYC Educational Resources
NYC Public School
- NYC Department of Education is the official website of the NYC school system. It provides information about NYC public schools including access to school lists, districts, and maps, the annual public school calendar, testing schedules, statistical reports on individual schools, and the high school directory.
- Inside Schools, a project of the Center for NYC Affairs, The New School, is a free, easy-to-use web search engine that provides up-to-date information on the NYC public school system, profiles about individual schools, and access to and commentary from experts and parents.
- New Visions for Public Schools provides information about the more than 112 public schools it helped establish and with which it continues to be involved. The website also includes education-related web links and helpful resources (in PDF format) for college bound students.
- New York City Charter School Center is an independent non-profit that helps charter schools get started, supports existing schools and engages the charter school community around key issues. The website includes information and data of interest to parents and the community at-large.
- Additional Resources
Private Independent Schools
- Parents League of New York, Inc. is a membership organization for independent private day schools and parents which provides a wide variety of information about the NYC private independent day schools, including an advisory service, sponsorship of schools fairs and parent education programs and publication of a number of resource guides including the must have directory of NYC private independent day schools.
- Independent Schools Admissions Association of Greater New York (ISAAGNY) is a NYC based non-profit organization of admissions directors and heads of schools that works to create a coordinated system for the independent private day school community. This site provides links to its member schools, provides guidance on the admissions process, identifies testing organizations, and outlines the timeline for applications and acceptance letters.
- Additional Resources