Asbestos-Containing Materials (ACM) refer to products that contain greater than one percent by weight and volume asbestos. These may include, but are not limited to, pipe and boiler insulation, floor and ceiling tiles, spray applied fireproofing, gaskets, cooling tower fill, roofing, window caulking/glazing, etc.
Prior to any planned renovation, maintenance or emergency that may involve ACM, an investigation request must be made with Environmental Health & Safety. To initiate an investigation, please fill out the Asbestos Survey and Request Form.
- Consultant’s Asbestos Lead Survey Agreement
- EHS Approved Contractor & Consultant List 2008
- Standard Operating Procedures for OCM, Consultants and Contractors
- Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Asbestos
- Asbestos Notification Form
- Asbestos Filing Requirements
- Asbestos Filing Time Tables
- Asbestos Waste Information
- NYU Asbestos Policy (PDF)
To effectively manage asbestos containing materials and prevent asbestos exposures, the NYU Asbestos Operations and Maintenance Program requires participation by all members of the university community. The overall responsibility for implementing this program is shared between NYU Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS), NYU Office of Construction Management (OCM), NYU Facilities and Construction Management (FCM) which includes Student Housing, other residential buildings managed by a hired managing agent (currently Cooper Square Realty ) and the hired custodial vendor (currently Collins Building Services (CBS)). The following Asbestos O&M Plan outlines the key duties and responsibilities for each of these departments.
To assist The Office of Construction Management (OCM), EHS has developed the following Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) to follow within OCM and EHS as well as SOPs for the contractor and consultant to ensure regulatory compliance and timely processing of project abatement during renovation and construction.
Asbestos Notification Form
As per NYC DEP, Tenant Notification must occur 10 days prior to abatement. Tenant notification includes residential & occupants of space
Proper regulatory notification and asbestos project filings are critical to ensure planned work proceeds in a timely manner.
For each building survey/hazard assessment conducted prior to preparation of either DEP form ACP 7 or ACP 5, the investigator must compile a record that includes at a minimum:
- A detailed written description of procedures employed to detect the presence or absence of ACM
- A blueprint, diagram, drawing, or written description of each building or portion thereof inspected by the investigator that clearly identifies each location and approximate linear or square footage of any area where material was sampled for ACM.
- The exact locations where bulk samples were collected, the date of collection, and the location of any areas assumed to have ACM.
- The printed name and signature of any and all persons who collect bulk samples for the purpose of determining the presence of ACM.
- The name of address of the laboratory analyzing the samples, the date of analysis, the results of the analysis, the method of analysis and the name and signature of the person performing the analysis.
- A detailed written description of proposed demolition, renovation, alteration, or modification work to be performed, including the techniques to be used and a description of affected facility components.
- A specific description of all activities performed by non-certified individuals, including name, address, telephone number.
- Copies of all filings will be sent to EHS prior to start of work.
Asbestos Abatement Project Filing Requirements for Friable Materials
(Ceiling plaster, fireproofing, pipe insulation, ceiling tile)
The following table is the amount of time that is needed once the required paperwork is filed with the appropriate agency. This does not take into account any variances that may take up to 2 – 3 weeks.
|Regulatory Agency||Size of Project||Filing Requirements||Waiting Period|
|NYC DEP||minor (<10 SF./25 LF.)||NA||NA|
|small (10-160 SF./25-260 LF)||ACP-7||7 calendar days|
|large (>160 SF/260 LF)||ACP-7||7 calendar days|
|small||yes glovebag w/tent||NA|
|large||yes||10 calendar days|
|large||yes||10 business days|
- New York University notifies building occupants for all asbestos abatement work as described in this document; however, building occupant notification is only a regulatory requirement for asbestos hazard abatement projects. For buildings occupied during the asbestos abatement project, occupants must be provided written notification before the start of the project; this written notification must be posted on building entrances 7 calendar days before the start of the project. The information provided in the notification must include contractor, project location and size, amount and type of ACM, abatement procedure, dates of expected occurrence and the NYC-DEP telephone number.
- The asbestos abatement contractor must notify the NYC DEP 10 calendar days prior to the start of the asbestos abatement project.
- The asbestos abatement contractor is responsible for notifying the NYC DOL; if the project exceeds 160 square feet or 260 linear feet, the asbestos safety control monitor notifies the U. S. EPA.
- EHS may require air monitoring for some projects based upon the nature of the removal work, building occupancy, and other factors; this requirement will be determined before the removal project.
City of New York Department of Finance (information to retrieve Property Block and Lot Numbers)
To ensure that the proper procedures for asbestos waste management are being followed as required by EPA RCRA under TSCA, The Department of Environmental Health & Safety has developed the following Standard Operating Procedures for Asbestos Waste Management.
Asbestos Waste Container Request Form
Container Request Form to be used by the abatement contractor or NYU EHS only.
Asbestos Waste Bag Sign-In Sheet
This form to be used by the Abatement Contractor only.