> The College > Mission, Vision, Values
Mission, Vision, Values
The mission of the NYU College of Dentistry is to partner with students in achieving academic excellence, providing
the best oral health care, and engaging in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors to improve the health of
the highly diverse populations in New York City and around the world.
In view of those commitments, the College of Dentistry affirms its determination
- to provide outstanding educational programs to prepare oral health professionals, biomedical scientists,
clinical researchers, and educators; and to offer lifelong learning opportunities for the profession,
- to offer high-quality, state-of-the-art oral health care, which includes health promotion, disease
prevention, and intervention and encourages innovation in oral healthcare delivery to meet changing global
- to conduct research that generates and applies biomedical, behavioral, and clinical knowledge and
technology to health and disease and promotes the transfer of technology to the dental care delivery system,
- to impact health globally using resources that will influence the healthcare beliefs of the public and,
thereby, the knowledge, skills, values, and beliefs of healthcare professionals.
NYUCD's vision is to become the dental institution on earth with the greatest impact on the health of society by:
- establishing new paradigms for practice,
- leveraging the power of enlightened consumers to improve the practice of dentistry,
- providing a destination for patients seeking the best care,
- developing a nexus between New York City and the international dental community, and
- creating an exciting community of scholars involved in lifelong learning, who enjoy each other's ideas,
cultures, and company and constantly challenge the "status quo."
By defining its values, NYUCD pledges to embody those attributes, characteristics, and perspectives it considers
to be of central importance, as follows:
- We value rigorous research and innovation to promote new discoveries and new knowledge that will enhance
education, scholarship, science, and health.
- We value continuous professional growth through the promotion of professional development and mentoring
for administrators, faculty, staff, and students.
- We value humanitarian concern through the promotion of dentistry and health to eliminate human suffering.
- We value the highest ethical standards in our interactions with students, alumni, and all other interested parties.
- We value collaboration through the creation of mutually beneficial relationships among individuals, departments,
other institutions, community groups, city and state governments, and corporations.
- We value diversity by recognizing and promoting the significant contributions of all people.
- We value a learning environment that encompasses the assessment of the needs of students, designs quality programs
that foster competence, and encourages exploration and discovery.
- We value global awareness by extending activities and perspectives beyond the community and the country to
benefit people around the world.
- We value quality and continuous improvement as a learning organization through evaluating, benchmarking,
and assessing outcomes to improve the performance of individuals and programs and ensuring compliance with
all standards that apply to our academic, clinical, and professional lives.
- We value professionalism in the performance of our work and in the demonstration of a work ethic that supports
the attainment of the College's academic, clinical, research, and administrative goals.
- We value the advancement of our profession by supporting and encouraging continuing postdoctoral education.