Dr. Edward Cleveland, Class of 1891
Before its merger with New York University in 1925, todays NYUCD was
known as the New York College of Dentistry, and its Class of 1891 included
a young man from Montreal, Dr. Edward Cleveland, who subsequently returned
to practice and teach at the McGill University Faculty of Dentistry. Dr.
Cleveland had two sons, both of whom became dentists, and one also followed
in his fathers footsteps at McGill. One of the younger Dr. Clevelands
students, a Dr. Arthur Knittle, went on to teach at NYUCD in the Special
Patient Care Clinic. Dr. Knittle visited the clinic recently and met the
current director of the clinic, Dr. Ross Kerr, who happens to be the great-grandson
of Edward Cleveland. Talk about NYUCD as a nexus!