New York University - College of Dentistry
Home The College Research Academic Programs Library/Resources Continuing Education Community Outreach International Programs
Click to View Virtual Tour

 > Financial Services >> Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What is a loan deferment?
A Deferment is a temporary postponement of your regular monthly payment(s), whereby the government may or may not pay the interest on your loan(s), depending on the type of loan(s) you have. Please contact your lender.

Can my loans be deferred while on internship/residency?
You may obtain an internship/residency deferment while serving in an internship program that is required for you to receive professional recognition in order to begin professional practice or service; or serving in a health professions internship or residency training program that leads to a degree or certificate awarded by an institution of higher education, hospital, or health care facility that offers postgraduate training.

How much can I receive in Federal Stafford Loans as a DDS student?
DDS students can receive up to $40,500 annually in a Federal Stafford Loan.
This amount may be increased for programs longer than nine months.

What is the total aggregate loan borrowing limit for a dental student?
For DDS students, the total aggregate loan borrowing from Federal Stafford loans cannot exceed $224,000, including all previous borrowing. Graduate Plus loans currently do not have an aggregate borrowing limit. Private loan lenders have the right to set aggregate borrowing limits on private and alternative loans and may consider Stafford borrowing in these limits.

Can I receive a loan for my residency?
Students should speak to a financial aid counselor about their options. There may be a Federal loan option. Also, students may be eligible to borrow a residency/relocation loan with the lender of their choice.

How can I qualify for a Health Professional Loan?
You would need to file a FAFSA application and provide parental information to be considered.

When can I receive my student loan refund check?
We are proud to say that Dental students are the first students to receive their refund checks in the university. These refunds usually go out first week back from the NYU College of Dentistry summer break and first week back from the NYU College of Dentistry winter break.

What if I need more funding?
If your living expenses exceed our estimated living expense budget, then you can submit a budget appeal request. This can increase your budget based on your actual living expenses. Upon approval of the financial aid office, you can then reapply for an additional private loan with your lender.

Scholarships and Grants from Other Organizations

In addition to the sources of gift aid described on the website, you may also be eligible for a private scholarship or grant from an outside organization or agency. Some sources to explore are employers, unions, professional organizations, and community and special interest groups.

Many extensive scholarship search services are available free online. The scholarships and information presented by such services are not verified or endorsed by NYU. You must notify the Office of Student Financial Services at the College of Dentistry if you receive funds from any outside organization.

Outside scholarships are considered a financial aid resource and must be added to a student's financial aid award. The Office of Student Financial Services first applies the outside scholarship to a student's unmet need that is not already covered by financial aid. In some cases, loans not based on financial need may be reduced (private loans, Federal Unsubsidized Stafford, Graduate PLUS). If the student's need is already met by need-based aid, then that aid is replaced with the outside scholarship. Scholarship from the College of Dentistry will be cancelled if the outside scholarship covers full tuition and fees. Total aid (including outside assistance) cannot exceed the cost of attendance.