> Academic Programs > Dental Hygiene Programs > Admissions/Application Process
B.S. Degree Program in Dental Hygiene (Track A: four-year program)
A.A.S. Degree Program in Dental Hygiene
All students applying to the New York University College of Dentistry
Dental Hygiene Program must meet the minimum requirements as follows:
- The applicant must be a graduate of an accredited secondary school and have the following (this academic year and forward):
H.S. student candidates
- a grade point average of 2.8 or higher
- SAT or ACT required
Transfer student candidates
- a grade point average of 3.0 from 12 credits of college study
Official transcripts and/or translated and evaluated documents (for foreign credentials) must be submitted from all previously attended academic institutions.
- Biology and chemistry are the prerequisite courses that must be successfully completed at the high school or college level with a grade of B or better,
within a 10-year period before the studentís matriculation at the College of Dentistry. NOTE: The prerequisite chemistry course does not
transfer in place of the Chemistry for Allied Health core Dental Hygiene course.
- A Graduate Equivalent Diploma (GED) is accepted; however, the applicant must prove grades in the prerequisite areas within a 10-year period at B or better, at either a
high school or college level. An official GED document must be included with proof of prerequisite courses.
- If not in English, high school and college transcripts must be translated and evaluated course-by-course with a grade point average by Educational Credential Evaluators,
Inc. (www.ece.org) and submitted to the Dental Hygiene office. Once received, they are reviewed in place of accredited secondary school records.
- All applicants must submit a passport photo, a typed personal statement about why they are interested in the dental hygiene profession, and two letters of recommendation (sealed). Acceptable letters of recommendation are those from Guidance Counselors, College Faculty, High School Faculty and previous or current employers.
- An information sharing session/interview is part of the admissions process for all candidates. At that time, we will discuss the profession of dental hygiene, our program at the College of
Dentistry, your qualifications for the program and answer any questions you may have including transfer credits.
- Review of The College of Dentistryís policy on Blood Borne Pathogens, which can be accessed on the college website at www.nyu.edu/dental/pathogens.html.
NOTE: Students who have a Bachelor degree conferred from an accredited institution in the United States do not have to submit a high school transcript.
B.S. Degree Program in Dental Hygiene (Track B: degree completion)
The admissions requirements are the same as detailed above. This curriculum is for a dental hygiene student who has completed an Associateís degree in dental hygiene from an accredited dental hygiene program and wishes to complete a B.S. degree. A student who completed an initial degree in dental hygiene at another institution may transfer up to 96 credits with a grade of "C" or better. At least 32 credits must be taken through NYU. Students who completed 78 credits for the Associate in Applied Science degree at NYUís Dental Hygiene program must complete 128 total credits for the Bachelor in Dental Hygiene. Students can begin their studies in Fall, Spring or Summer semesters. Most classes are offered online and can be completed full-time or part-time.
Apply Online Now! »
Receipt of the application will be acknowledged. Applications that are incomplete cannot be acted on.
All applications must contain the following:
All documents received from applicants who are under 18 years of age must be
cosigned by a parent or legal guardian.
- An official college transcript or course-by-course evaluation
- A photograph
- An essay on why dental hygiene is chosen as a profession at NYU
- Two letters of recommendation (sealed)
- A filing fee of $50 (not returnable). Checks should be made
payable to New York University College of Dentistry.
- Fall semester : March 1st
Writing Placement Exam
- Spring semester: November 1st
Upon acceptance, all applicants must take a Writing Placement exam to determine
student proficiency and English requirement recommendations. In addition, some
students may require intense courses through the American Language Institute at NYU. See Admissions Information for more details.
- Candidates who have been notified of their acceptance to the A.A.S.
or the B.S. degree program must submit a required nonrefundable $500
deposit within thirty (30) days after receiving official notification
of acceptance. Checks should be made payable to New York University
College of Dentistry.
- The admission deposit is a guarantee of the candidate's good faith
and reserves a place in the class pending the fulfillment of all admission
requirements. The acceptance is tentative, contingent on the filing
of a complete and satisfactory transcript of record with the Dental
Hygiene Program at the College of Dentistry not later than the date
of registration. The admission deposit will be applied to tuition.
- The remainder of the tuition and fees for the first semester is
due according to the schedule for registration.
- It is expected that by the day of enrollment each candidate will
be financially and medically cleared.
Upon acceptance, all applicants must meet the health requirements of the College
of Dentistry, and show proof of the following immunizations: Measles, Mumps,
Rubella and Hepatitis, prior to the studentís enrollment period and the
beginning of classes.
Transfer of Credits
See Admissions Information for more details.