||APRIL 2014 ISSUE
Spring Break has come and gone, midterms are over for many students, and the end of the spring semester will be here before you know it. April is a busy month filled with fun events such as Senior Week, the Freshman Spring Fling and Commuter Appreciation Week. Your student can find information on these events and more by checking out the NYU Events Calendar (on the right).
To help you plan ahead for the end of the spring semester, this month’s newsletter includes important dates and deadlines regarding commencement, fall registration and meal plans. You will also find move-out and storage information, as well as career and off-campus living resources.
CELEBRATING THE CLASS OF 2014
Over Spring Break, eligible students received information about graduation. Students will need to order tickets for events, order their cap and gown, and schedule their photo session (optional). Click on the links below for more details or visit www.nyu.edu/commencement:
- Tickets for the All University Commencement are available for ordering until May 9th
- Academic Attire must be ordered online by April 18th (required for participation in ceremonies)
- School Ceremonies - for information and ticket distribution details by school
- Graduation Portraits - appointments can now be scheduled, with shoots beginning May 13th
- Local Hotels - for a listing of hotels that provide discounts to the NYU Community.
NYU President John Sexton and Board of Trustees Chairman Martin Lipton recently announced the names of those to be honored at the University’s 182nd Commencement Exercises, which will be held Wednesday, May 21st, at Yankee Stadium. The honorees include Fed Chair Janet Yellen, New York Yankees Pitcher Mariano Rivera, US Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan, Singer Aretha Franklin, and Attorney Martin Edelman. Read more . . .
PREPARING FOR RESIDENCE HALL MOVE-OUT & LOCAL STORAGE
Students recently received reminder notices via email and on their room doors about planning for move-out. The policy is that students should plan to move-out within 24 hours of their last exam (exam week is May 14-20). Students should be in touch with hall staff regarding any issues regarding the move-out period. Staff contacts are available from respective residence hall pages. (click here).
As storage is not provided on campus, the Student Resource Center has complied a listing of commonly used storage facilities, as well as storage search websites on the Neighborhood Resources page. Please note that NYU has no affiliation with any of the resources provided. We have compiled this listing to help you in your search. Additionally, students should ask for suggestions from their residence hall front desk (Resource Center) staff.
CLASS REGISTRATION for FALL 2014
Registration for next year starts on Monday, April 28, 2014 - actual appointment date and time will vary by a student's academic standing. Now is a good time for students to check for any holds that might affect registration. Prior to registration, students should meet with their school or program's academic advisor. Additional details about advisement are available by clicking here.
In anticipation of summer break, the Wasserman Center for Career Development wants to make sure that both you and your student are aware of the plethora of resources available throughout the year:
- NYU CareerNet: allows students to apply to thousands of jobs and internships across the globe, as well as utilize career exploration and interview prep tools. It's also their one-stop shop to sign up for career coaching appointments, seminars, and information sessions.
- Career Coaching Sessions are available by appointment to help students develop job/internship search strategies, review resumes and cover letters, receive networking and interview tips, and practice during a mock interview.
- Career Development Seminars are offered weekly on the following topics: Resumes and Cover Letters that Work, Social Media & Networking for Your Job Search, Acing the Interview, Maximizing Your Job Search, and more.
- Employer Events & Information Sessions provide panels and interactive presentations facilitated by leading companies, organizations, and hiring professionals.
- Resume Book Collection is available for students graduating in 2014 & 2015 where student resumes are reviewed and collected for distribution to hundreds of employers throughout the summer and fall.
To learn more about the ways NYU supports your student to achieve career success, please view the Parents Guide to the Wasserman Center. Read more . . .
OFF CAMPUS LIVING
A student's decision to live off campus is one that should not be taken lightly. Searching for an apartment in New York City can be challenging, and the apartment hunting process is often bewildering for even long time New Yorkers. The NYU Student Resource Center is available to answer questions and provide resources relative to the search process. Although the University does not provide actual apartments, we do have an online-list of commonly used websites for apartment searches, a roommate registry, NYC market information, and referral information for housing related issues. Visit www.nyu.edu/housing/offcampus.
MEAL PLANS, DINING DOLLARS, and CAMPUS CASH
As we approach the end of the Spring semester, now is a good time for students to review their Dining Dollars and/or Campus Cash balances. Dining Dollars can be added through April 12th, however, balances that are not used by the end of the semester are forfeited. Campus Cash balances will roll-over for returning students and refunds may be requested for graduating students. More details will be available in the May newsletter for the donation of extra meals to local charities.
NYU StudentLink (bill pay, eSuite, deadlines, financial aid, housing, enrollment verification, and other student services.)
Campus Cash (deposits, balances)
Dining Services (meal plans, locations, hours)
Student Property Insurance
Study Away / Study Abroad
Academic Resource Center
Commuter & Off Campus Students
Intramurals and Recreation
International Students & Scholars
Multicultural Education & Programs
Residential Life and Housing
Student Activities, Leadership & Service
Student Health Center
Wasserman Center for Career Development
Dates and Deadlines
NYU Events Calendar
Housing Phase 1: March 31-April 11
FAFSA Priority Deadline: April 1
Final Exams: May 14-20
Commencement: May 21
Memorial Day- Offices Closed: May 26
Summer Classes Begin: May 27
The helpline is answered by professional staff and trained student assistants at the Student Resource Center.
(click to view SRC staff)
Call: 212-998-4219 (M-F, 9am-5pm*)
*when the university is open
The NYU Department of Public Safety and the Wellness Exchange are available 24/7. Contact information is located on the back of Student IDs and below:
NYU INFO ALERT:
212-998-1220 / www.nyu.edu/info.alert