Washington Square Village Community Facility Space
NYU will make 6,000 square feet of community facility space available in WSV 4, to be used for daycare and pre-K programs and managed by Creative Steps/University Settlement. In addition, based on community input and guidance from Council Member Margaret Chin, another 900 square feet of community facility space will be provided in WSV 3. This space will be used by Visiting Neighbors, who provides outreach programs for seniors in Lower Manhattan.
Updated 1/15/14: The Creative Steps Early Child Care Center is in operation. Several classes have begun and enrollment is ongoing. Visiting Neighbors is open and serving clients from their new office space. Meeting and activity space has also been provided for the WSV Tenants Association. Additionally, a large ground floor studio has been retrofitted for use as playspace for tenant families.
Updated 8/15/13: Construction has begun in both locations. Work is expected to be complete by late fall 2013.
- Timing: Project complete November 2014.
- Links: Council Member Chin's letter to the community, May 2013.
- Reference: NYU Letter to Council Member Margaret Chin, July 2012.
181 Mercer Street (the Coles building) Community Facility
NYU will make approximately 7,500 gross square feet of community facility space on the ground floor level of 181 Mercer Street (the Coles building) accessible to pedestrians from the Greene Street Walkway, an outdoor feature to be created as part of the construction.
Updated 8/11/15: Conceptual design and program planning for 181 Mercer Street (the Coles building) is underway. 7,500 gross square feet of community facility space will be factored into the design and programming of the building.
- Timing: Ongoing during building design and construction.
- Reference: NYU Letter to Council Member Margaret Chin, July 2012 and Restrictive Declaration ("Dec.") 6.1(b), p. 80
The NYC School Construction Authority has the option to build a school which would be incorporated into the Bleecker Building. The SCA must provide NYU with notice of intent to build a school by December 31, 2014, and commence construction by July 1, 2018. In October 2014, at the request of Councilmember Chin, NYU agreed to extend the SCA notice deadline until December 31, 2018. NYU will provide the SCA with annual updates regarding NYU's anticipated construction schedule until the SCA's construction window has elapsed.
Updated 12/17/2015: NYU sent their fourth annual update letter to the SCA on December 17, 2015.
Updated 12/15/2014: NYU sent their third annual update letter to the SCA on December 15, 2014.
- Timing: In response to a request from Councilwoman Chin, the SCA deadline has been extended from Dec 31, 2014 to Dec 31 2018, to provide notice of their intent to build a school. NYU's annual update will be provided by Dec 31st of each year until the time that the SCA's option to build the school has elapsed.
- Collaborators: Department of City Planning and School Construction Authority
- Downloads: NYU's 2012 Letter to the SCA, NYU's 2013 Letter to the SCA, NYU's 2014 Letter to the SCA, and NYU's 2015 Letter to the SCA
- Reference: Restrictive Dec. sec 5.3, page 71; and, Restrictive Dec, sec 6.2(b), page 83