NYU will be undertaking standard Local Law 11 repairs to the facade of the Waverly Building.
Information for Neighbors
What is Local Law 11?
Local Law 11 is a New York City Department of Buildings statute that requires facades maintenance on buildings of six or more stories every five years. First, a certified architect or engineer determines whether potentially dangerous deterioration has occurred on a building's exterior faces. The contractor then files recommendations with the city. Finally, the building owner schedules the necessary facade work and is required to complete it in a timely manner.
Local Law 11 work generally involves replacing masonry elements such as terra cotta, limestone, cast stone, and bricks; applying new mortar, caulking, and sealant; and patching spalled masonry. Repairs are usually localized to specific spots which have been highlighted by an architect, rather than occurring over an entire building face. All of a building’s exterior walls are assessed for maintenance needs.
- The project will begin on or around July 1, and is scheduled to be completed by October 1, 2013.
Scope of Work
- As in most Local Law 11 cases, work will be performed by contractors using a swing scaffold to lower themselves down the side of the building.
- Sidewalk bridging to protect pedestrian traffic will be erected around the perimeter of the building. Sidewalk bridging will extend 20' beyond the property line on both Waverly Place and Washington Square East.
- Facade repairs will require the occasional grinding and removal of mortar and masonry. This work is done with small hand tools and will create some noise. A minimal amount of dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work.
- If any asbestos containing material, or ACM, is detected in the mastic that lies behind the brick facade, contractors will implement safe abatement protocols to securely dispose of it. Contractors can only detect ACMs when they removed bricks; if they discover any, they will safely handle, remove, and bag the material, whereupon it will be transported to a protected ACM disposal unit.
Updates and Announcements
Construction Update, September 25, 2013
Work has been completed, and all protective sidewalk bridging removed.
Construction Update, June 13, 2013: Tentative Project Details Established
Details for the Local Law 11 project at the Waverly Building have been established, including work hours, the project timeline, and the scope of work.