NYU will be undertaking facade repairs at 19 University Place.
Information for Neighbors
- The project will begin on or around June 25, and is scheduled to be completed by October 1, 2013.
Scope of Work
- Work will be performed by contractors using a swing scaffold to lower themselves down the side of the building.
- Sidewalk bridging to protect pedestrian traffic will be erected around the perimeter of the building. Sidewalk bridging will extend beyond the property line on both University Place and 8th Street.
- Facade repairs will require the occasional grinding and removal of mortar and masonry. This work is done with small hand tools and will create some noise. A minimal amount of dust will be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work.
- If any asbestos containing material, or ACM, is detected in the mastic that lies behind the brick facade, contractors will implement safe abatement protocols to securely dispose of it. Contractors can only detect ACMs when they removed bricks; if they discover any, they will safely handle, remove, and bag the material, whereupon it will be transported to a protected ACM disposal unit.
Construction Update, June 24, 2014
Work has been completed.
Construction Update, April 30, 2014
Work is scheduled for completion during summer.
Construction Update, March 10, 2014
Work is scheduled to recommence in March and continue through the summer.
Construction Update, December 13, 2013
Work has been temporarily suspended. Workers will periodically inspect existing sidewalk bridging and scaffolding, but no facade repairs will take place until further notice.
Construction Update, September 25, 2013
Facade repairs are progressing according to schedule, and are expected to be complete during December 2013.
Construction Update, June 13, 2013: Tentative Project Details Established
Details for the project at 19 University Place have been established, including work hours, the project timeline, and the scope of work.