The two NYU-owned superblocks are just south of Washington Square in an area bounded by W 3rd Street, LaGuardia Place, Houston Street, and Mercer Street. They contain NYU's large faculty housing complexes -- Washington Square Village and Silver Towers -- as well as the Coles Sport and Recreation Center and other buildings.
Because the superblocks encompass quite a large area, and because NYU will be redeveloping the Coles site in the coming years, a number of maintenance operations, public space beautification projects, and infrastructural improvements will be necessary on their grounds and facilities.
Urban Farm Construction
Construction of the farm began in July 2017. Work hours are scheduled from 7:00am - 5:00pm, with noise generating work scheduled to begin after 9:00am.
- Completion of the remainder of the easternmost planting beds is scheduled to take place in fall 2017.
- Replacement of the existing wrought iron fence along Houston Street and repair of the historic gutter, is expected in late fall 2017 following the harvest.
- As with any active construction site, dust may be generated in the area immediately surrounding the work and intermittent noise may be generated by hand tools and mechanical equipment such as excavators.
181 Mercer Street, a new multi-use building expected to be completed in fall 2021, will house much-needed new classrooms, performing arts education and training spaces, a modern athletic facility, student and faculty housing, and approximately 7,500 square feet of space for a public atrium and community uses.
NYU will upgrade the capacity of the Co-Generation Power Plant to accommodate increased electricity and heating and cooling service for greater energy efficiency at 181 Mercer Street. The project is scheduled to begin in late September 2017 and continue through winter 2019, pending permits.
NYU is replacing the elevators in all four WSV buildings. When complete the elevators will run more efficiently and cab interiors will be remodeled. The elevator replacement project began in June 2017 and is scheduled to continue through October 2018.
- Washington Square Village Sidewalk Repair, June 12-June 28, 2017
- LaGuardia Park Path Repair, May-June 2017
- Washington Square Village Roof Replacement and Local Law 11 Facade Repairs, March 2015 - May 2017
- 1 Washington Square Village Canopy Repair, May 2017
- Washington Square Village Fence Installation, December 6, 2016 - January 27, 2017
- 505 LaGuardia Place and Silver Towers, Heat and Hot Water Pipe Replacement, April - August 2016
- Silver Towers Lawn Work, June - July 2016
- Open Space Tree Pruning, July 6, 2016 - July 15, 2016
- Silver Towers, Mercer-Houston Dog Run Relocation, July 28, 2015 - March 2, 2016
- 100 and 110 Bleecker Street, Silver Towers Window PTAC Replacements, April 24, 2015 - February 10, 2016
- 539, 541, 545 LaGuardia Place, Retail Space Renovation, April 8, 2015 - December 10, 2015
- 3 Washington Square Village, Community Board 2 Offices, September 2, 2014 - December 10, 2015
- Silver Towers Plaza Lawn Work, October 7, 2015 - October 28, 2015
- Washington Square Village Window Replacements, September 10, 2014 - October 31, 2015
- Sub-Terrain Borings at Coles, August 10, 2014 -August 14, 2014
- Mercer Street Sidewalk Repair, July 11, 2014
- Emergency Generator Testing in WSV, June 25, 2014
- ST Plaza Lawn Work, April 20, 2014 - June 3, 2014
- ST Stairwell LED Lighting Upgrades, March 24, 2014 - April 10, 2014
- WSV LED Lighting Upgrades, February 11, 2014 - March 4, 2014
- Silver Towers II Parking Garage Repairs, December 8, 2013 - January 13, 2014
- 3 Washington Square Village Entryway Staircase Repair, December 16 - 23, 2013
- LaGuardia Place Vacant Retail Place Asbestos Abatement, November 20-28, 2013
- LaGuardia Place Sidewalk Repairs, November 20-21, 2013
- LaGuardia Place Vacant Retail Space Clean Up, November 12-13, 2013
- NYC DDC Sidewalk Replacement Work, September 30-October 10, 2013
- WSV Emergency Generator Testing, October 8, 2013
- Water Line Repairs, September 29 - October 1, 2013
- Garage and Storage Asbestos Abatement, September 29 - 30, 2013