NYU’s advocacy has been crucial to advancing higher education initiatives, expanding access to higher education through financial aid, securing resources to support the University’s research agenda, and participating in local economic development efforts.
Higher Education Policy
NYU advocates and liaisons, including students and alumni, have helped legislators create better opportunities for college hopefuls everywhere to gain access to higher education. Many of these students attend NYU: federal financial aid supports approximately 57% of our undergraduate student body, while New York State aid programs support NYU undergraduate students through more than $13 million in direct financial assistance.
Statements and Letters of Support for Legislation
- Fact Sheet on Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Costs l September 2017
- President Hamilton Letter on NYU Priorities for NYS FY18 l January 2017
- Memo in Support of the NYS DREAM Act l January 2017
- NYU Memo in Support of Masters-in-Education Teacher Incentive Scholarship Program | June 2015
- NYU Memo in Support of NY State Legislation Allowing the State to Enter into the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) | June 2015
NYU is bound together as a community, each member valued, each member belonging here, each member deserving of the support that NYU can give. Documented or undocumented, these are our peers, colleagues, and friends. It is vital that the higher education community is able to move across borders in peaceful pursuit of one's scholarship. NYU closely follows immigration policies that will impact our community and provides regular updates.
Statements and Letters on Recent Executive Actions
- President Hamilton Letter Urging Congress to Enact Legislation to Codify DACA into Law l September 2017
- Amicus Curiae brief in International Refugee Assistance Project et al v. Trump l April 2017
- Higher Education Association Letter to USCIS on H-1B Visas l March 2017
- ACE Letter to President Trump on "Dreamers" l March 2017
- Amicus Curiae brief in State of Hawaii and Ismail Elshikh v. Trump l March 2017
- Amicus Curiae brief in State of Washington et al v. Trump | March 2017
- AAU Statement on March 6 Executive Order l March 2017
- A Side-by-Side Analysis of the Sanctuary Campus Issue l February 2017
- AAU Amicus Curiae Brief in Darweesh v. Trump l February 2017
- University Presidents Letter to President Trump l February 2017
- Higher Education Association Letter to President Trump l February 2017
- President Hamilton on Why NYU Will Not Declare Itself a Sanctuary Campus l January 2017
- Letter to Secretary Kelly from Institutions | January 2017
- Higher Education Association Letter to Secretary Kelly | January 2017
- NYU Statement on Executive Order l January 2017
- AAU Statement on Executive Order l January 2017
Research Initiatives and Economic Development
As a modern research institution, NYU advocates for continuous government investment for research initiatives that both educate our students and discover new knowledge through scholarship. NYU received approximately $344 million in federal research funding in 2015, as well as State and City grants.
Announcements and Letters of Support for Legislation
- NYU Letter to Trump Administration on NIH Grant Costs l June 2017
- Support Letter for NYS CAT and COE Programs l December 2016
- NYU Game Center Recommendation to NY Governor (A.1003/S.7485) l July 2016
- NYU Memo in Support of NY State Legislation that Establishes a Statewide Translational Research and Entrepreneurship Initiative (S.4071 / A.4014) l May 2015
- NYU Memo in Support of the New York State Digital Game Development and Incentive Act (S.4054 / A.4016) l May 2015
- NYU Memo in Support of NYS Incubator Program Tax Credits Legislation (S.4071 / A.4014) l May 2015
As home to Colleges of Dentistry, Nursing and Social Work, NYU advocates for policies such as healthcare workforce issues, professional licensure requirements for these fields, and variety of other topics that impact our health programs.
Letters of Support for Legislation
- NYU Memo in Support of Foreign-Trained Dental Faculty License Law l March 2016
- NYU Memo in Support of Nursing Education Law Amendment (A.3945/ S.2145) | January 2016
- NYU Memo in Support of NY State Legislation Requiring a Licensed Social Worker in Each Elementary, Middle, Junior High and High School | June 2015
- NYU College of Nursing Memo in Support of Anti-Torture Law (A.4440 / S.2397) | May 2015
- NYU Memo in Support of Nursing Education Law Amendment (A.3103 / S.5924) | May 2015
Testimony to the Government
Often, NYU Administrators, faculty or students will provide testimony in front of a government body such as a Congressional Hearing or a NYC City Council Hearing. Such testimony can be on a variety of topics depending on a particular faculty member's expertise or a current topic that impacts the University as a whole.
- Gary R. Lomp, Business Development Manager at NYU Tandon's Center for Advanced Technology in Telecommunications (CATT), testifies before the NYS Assembly on turning technological advancements into long-term business development and economic growth | November 2017
- Michael Weitzman, Professor at the NYU College of Global Public Health, testifies before the NYC Council Committee on Health's hearing on anti-smoking proposals | April 2017
- Connie Turner, Program Manager for the NYU Mobile Dental Van, testifies before the NYC Council Committee on the van program | May 2016
- Dr. Christina Reuterskiold, Chair of NYU Steinhardt's Dept. of Communicative Services and Disorders, testifies before the NYC Council on addressing the needs of students with dyslexia | April 2016
- Jessica Yager, Executive Director of the NYU Furman Center, testifies before the NYC Council on the Subsidized Housing Information Project | March 2016
- Bridget Curtis, Senior Director of HEOP, testifies before NYS Assembly on the changing demographics of students in Opportunity Programs | December 2015
- Amr Moursi, Pediatric Dentistry Chairman at NYU Dental, testifies before the NYC Council on the inclusion of dental services in legislation | December 2015
- Ben Esner, Director of the Center for K-12 STEM Education, testifies before the NYC Council on Unmanned Aerial Vehicles | November 2015
NYU collaborates with associations dedicated to expanding and strengthening the government’s investment in research, financial aid, and higher education.
- The American Council on Education, in which college and university presidents provide leadership on higher education issues, fostering collaboration among schools and influencing of public policy.
- The Association of American Universities, an association of leading public and private universities that advance the worldwide position of US research universities.
- The National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, which represents independent higher education institutions on policy issues such as student aid and government regulations.
- The Student Aid Alliance, a coalition of student, college and university organizations that works promote equal access to quality education regardless of family income.
- The LEARN Coalition, or Learning and Education Academic Research Network, which advocates for investment in multi-disciplinary research to advance the scientific understanding of learning and development.
- The National Humanities Alliance, which advocates for the advancement of humanities research, programs, and education.
- The Science Coalition, which promotes the benefits of university-based research to elected officials and the media.
- The New York State Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities, which represents the public policy interests of the chief executives of more than 100 independent colleges and universities in New York State.