Weekly meetings this year are in Kimmel on Tuesdays at 8:30pm. The rooms will change. Click here for the complete list of rooms.
The next meeting is 3/27 in Kimmel 904
February 13, 2007 Kimmel 904
Because of the icy weather, we kept this meeting short. The updates are as follows:
- The NY Botanical Garden trip will be moved from March 25 to March 24 because we can get free admission and a tour of the Orchid Show from Marcela.
- Black Gold screening flyers are in the EM mailbox (#65) on the 7th floor by the entrance to the lounge. Take as many as you can put up. If they run out, we will put more in there.
- EM will co-sponsor the Swap-o-rama-rama coming up during Earth Week.
- Maggie will research working with the Sierra Club on their climate change protest coming up in April.
January 30, 2007 Kimmel 912
1. Electronics Recycling
- Tentatively planned for either Thursday, March 1 or Wednesday, March 7
- The Independent Democrats would like to get involved, which will help PR a lot
2. Kichwa community on Eco-tourism
- We are looking into having them come to talk about the benefits of eco-tourism and display native crafts
3. NYUInc.org is looking for writers. If you're interested, go to the website.
- The Delaware Water Gap trip will be too complicated and expensive, so we will only be hiking in the Pine Barrens on Long Island this semester.
- Pine Barrens hiking trip on Long Island will be on Saturday, April 21.
- We are going to make these movie nights a lot of fun and provide food (probably pizza). We are also looking into collaborating Lafayette Street RAs so that we can show the movies in the lounge, a more relaxed environment than the Kimmel Center.
- Our first movie night is next week, Tuesday, February 6 at 8:30. We'll be watching "Too Hot Not to Handle"
- The other movie nights for the semester will be February 20, March 6, and March 20 (all Tuesdays, all at 8:30)
6. Next week, on Tuesday, February 6, Alev will be meeting with everyone interested in helping with Enviro Ed. at 7pm on the 7th floor of Kimmel. Come and help make costumes and discuss plans.
7. Earthweek (April 19 - 27)
- The first Earthweek meeting was last night before the Earth Matters meeting. We elected the Co-chairs (Nancy and Julie) and the Treasurer (Brittany), and discussed plans for some events such as the Swaporamarama, the street fair, and a benefit concert
- The next Earthweek meeting will be on Tuesday, February 20 at 8pm. Please come help us plan this awesome week!
8. Botanical Garden Trip
- Instead of the Dellaware hiking trip, we are planning a trip to either the New York or Brooklyn Botanical Gardens for Sunday, March 25.
- The New York Botanical Garden will be featuring an orchid show, which is supposed to be beautiful and the show of the year.
9. Next week we won't have our regular meeting because we will be showing the movie at our regularly scheduled meeting time (8:30pm). The room is 808.
January 23, 2007 Kimmel 912
Here are the minutes from the meeting:
1. The Sierra Club is letting us use their movies and we will be watching one or two of them every other week during our meeting time.
- Wind-themed movies on Feb. 6
- Global Warming-themed movies on Feb. 20
- "Wake Up America" during Earth Week (April 19-27)
- We are also looking into getting "Who Killed the Electric Car" for Earth Week
2. There is a Food Advisory meeting Wed 1/24 in the Kimmel Center. If you're interested, check it out.
3. Hiking Trips
- Sunday, April 15: Long Island (probably Pine Barrens)
- Saturday, April 21st: Delaware Water Gap
- First week of April: 2007 NYC Biking maps and presentation
- Bike Workshop during Earth Week
5. Electronics recycling tentatively scheduled for March 1st
6. Enviro Ed: Help make costumes with Alev on February 6th before the Earth Matters meeting. 7pm on the 7th floor of Kimmel
7. Ask professors if they would like to give a lecture for Intro to Earth. They would speak for an hour about their subject and how it relates to the environment.
8. Botanical Gardens- either Brooklyn or NYC
- Brooklyn: $10 per person, has to be a group of 10 people
- NYC: $15 per person, has to be a group of 15 people, Orchid show free with admission
9. We will be planning Earth Week at next week's meeting.
January 16, 2007 Kimmel 912
An excellent start to the always exciting spring! We had many new faces, and a bunch of really exciting ideas.
We are finally going to get on track with Envro Ed. We will be creating a lesson plan on the water cycle where the students will dress up and act out the parts in the water cycle. So students will dress up as raindrops, clouds, lakes, etc to actively learn in a fun way. We have a few afterschool programs and teachers that we are looking at to work with.
From last semester, we look to continue our successful electronics recycling, free swap and hiking events. We may even try to do real camping!
This spring we will also be connecting with George Reis and the NYU Garden Shop to help make the campus beautiful. So if you are interested in the gardening stuff be sure to pay attention for updates as spring approaches.
On the advocacy side, the issues that we are looking to focus on are green roofs, fair trade and organic coffee, promoting biking, and reusing your bags or coffee mugs. These are all very worth while, and things that the NYU community needs to know about.
AND REMEMBER! We will be having Earth Week!
And congrats to Brittany, who will be our new secretary this spring because Helen has graduated.